Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet to Go won't shut off

I have this Crane Toilet to Go. We bought it prolly 2 years ago, installed it last month. No problems at all, worked fine til last night, when it decides it's not going to shut off. It's not the float, I adjusted that, I can lift the lever on the shut off and it still runs a little. I am suspecting it has dirt in the needle valve, but other than getting the little gold cover off, I have no idea how to get it open, and I can't find any instructions on the web (like I did for the Fluidmaster I used to have). I'm afraid of breaking the crappy plastic thing. This is a Coast Foundry 1B1 Master Mark V flush valve. Of course I got pics!

Any ideas how to pop this open so I can clean it? I should add that i checked Crane's site and all the Toilet to Go instructions online show a different flush valve with an external screw adjustment for setting the shut off. Of course their customer service is 8-5 M-F. At this point I have to shut off the supply every flush.

Evildad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I haven't seen this style before, doesn't mean anything, anyway, I'd figure with the nubs on the top of the valve, that it would untwist like the fluid master, course your call weather to force it or not, sorry couldn't be more helpful, but unlike Crane, I was here, good luck.

DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I went to Home Depot, bought a Fluidmaster for $7 and replaced the thing. (it was tight situation which was why I was trying to avoid actually replacing it - took an hour and a lot of cursing) I saved the Coast, I will get it open somehow and report back.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

glad it went somewhat well for you, at my present job, almost all toilets have fluidmaster, when they fail, I was showed to shut off water, lift adjustment ring up, slide unit off, slide new unit on, push ring down to lock, turn water on, and done, another co worker mentioned to me that its usually the seal that goes bad, opening the top like you had mentioned, changed out the seal, its $3 for a seal vs. $10 for a new unit. Learning every day.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #5

Believe it or not, neither the local Lowe's nor HD had repair kits for Fluidmaster or anything else. I once repaired a Fluidmaster by buying the replacement and using only the o-ring and junk out of the top of the new one.