Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet Fully Clogged ... still

I'm sure you've all seen plenty of toilet clogged questions, so I apologize for another.

Anyway,
I have an old toilet that is fully clogged - about half the bowl will drain if I give it 6-8 hours, but basically it's not draining. I've done the plunging. And I bought a closet auger which I am able to run all the way through, yet it's had no impact.
Is it time to throw in the towel and call a plumber?

Background: wife clogged the toilet in the middle of the night. The next morning I plunged it, which seemed to work. It was used a few times during the day, but then the next night it became clogged again, this time for no apparent reason. As I said plunging didn't do anything and the auger's only apparent effect was to bring up some fecal matter, muddying the formerly clear water.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

badgerbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
the Musigician

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If it were me, I'd pull the toilet and look inside for maybe a washcloth or sanitary napkin?
....... just a lot of gunk built up over the years can cause this as well. A visual inspection would be your best bet.

DM

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

When I plunge a toilet I take the plunger and very fast move the plunger in/out - not loosing seal from the plunger and toilet bowl. This will make the water very forceful and most the time bust the clog loose. If that doesn't wokr time to rod the line

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Id try pulling the toilet to see if their is water in the waste arm/closet bend under toilet.If theres no water standin pipe underneath try dumping a bucket of water down the pipe to make sure its draining.
If the pipe is draining then your back to the toilet.what kind of plunger do you have?if its one of those pink things toss it out and buy a good black rubber plunger ,if you already have a good plunger time to buy a toilet.
I always reccomend my customers pick out a good $115-$130 toilet,stay away from the toilet in a box kits.they come with everything except a good plunger,which they should give you with those cheap non flushing toilets!
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Pulling the toilet and looking in the bottom of the 'horn' will sometimes reveal something you can pull out with pliers or pry out with a screwdriver.