Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet Flooding Cleanup

Hello,
I just bought an apartment. The home inspector said that there is visible water damage on my kitchen cabinets and wood floor. He said the water came from the apt above. I spoke to the HOA and they verified that the apt directly above mine had flooded substantially, the flood caused by an over flowing toilet. The flood happened perhaps some 6 months ago. The home inspector determined that the plumbing problem was fixed, the visible mold on my kitchen walls was dead and all the moisture is gone.

Before I move in, Id like to know how I should disinfect my kitchen after it flooded with toilet water. I was just going to buy a strong disinfectant and scrub thoroughly, is that enough?? Should I be concerned with possible bacteria in my kitchen cabinets and tile grout???

leedee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #2

Toilet Flooding Cleanup

Yes, use a good disinfectant. The best inexpensive disinfectants are rubbing alcohol, bleach, and ammonia. These can be used on ceramic tile but may not be suitable for wood or plastic or Formica.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

Toilet Flooding Cleanup

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedee24 View Post
Hello,
I just bought an apartment. The home inspector said that there is visible water damage on my kitchen cabinets and wood floor. He said the water came from the apt above. I spoke to the HOA and they verified that the apt directly above mine had flooded substantially, the flood caused by an over flowing toilet. The flood happened perhaps some 6 months ago. The home inspector determined that the plumbing problem was fixed, the visible mold on my kitchen walls was dead and all the moisture is gone.

Before I move in, Id like to know how I should disinfect my kitchen after it flooded with toilet water. I was just going to buy a strong disinfectant and scrub thoroughly, is that enough?? Should I be concerned with possible bacteria in my kitchen cabinets and tile grout???
You "bought" an apartment?

Why didn't you make the people who sold you the "apartment" clean it up? It should have been noted in your inspector report, and should have beeen addressed by the seller.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Toilet Flooding Cleanup

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
You "bought" an apartment?

Why didn't you make the people who sold you the "apartment" clean it up? It should have been noted in your inspector report, and should have beeen addressed by the seller.
I agree, but it probably WAS cleaned up, I'm willing to bet the O.P. just wants to make sure it is clean for their own peace of mind.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #5

Toilet Flooding Cleanup

just dont use the bleach and ammonia together.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #6

Toilet Flooding Cleanup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I agree, but it probably WAS cleaned up, I'm willing to bet the O.P. just wants to make sure it is clean for their own peace of mind.
Cleaned up is one thing.....visible water damage and dead mold, as noted by the inspector, should require repair, remediation, and/or monetary concession.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Toilet Flooding Cleanup

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Cleaned up is one thing.....visible water damage and dead mold, as noted by the inspector, should require repair, remediation, and/or monetary concession.

Depends entirely on the purchasing price.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #8

Toilet Flooding Cleanup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Depends entirely on the purchasing price.
You get what you pay for.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #9

Toilet Flooding Cleanup

Right. It was cleaned up but I want to clean it myslef...for peace of mind.
Thank you all! =)

leedee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leedee24 For This Useful Post:
Alan (07-14-2011)

Tags
toilet flooding cleanup