Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Toilet flapper keeps flipping backwards

My old toilet flapper more or less disintegrated. My husband came home with a new one, adjusted the chain and all was well for 1 hour. When you flush, the toilet runs and runs. Upon watching, the flapper doesn't just flip up for a while then closes, it flips right backwards, maybe a good 120 degrees and get stuck, therefore it can never close. I have to keep opening the cover and flipping it back to the closed position. I see there is a little tab that moves to a maximum of 90 degrees under the flapper when it opens, but it does not stop the flapper from going backwards past the 90 degrees. What should I do?

msammut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

You might try a different flapper model. There are so many variations on the market today that it's easy to get one that won't work in your toilet. If your can get one designed specifically for your model toilet, even if it costs a couple of bucks more, you might solve the problem.

Also, the age of the toilet could matter. If it was made before 1993 it will be at least a 3.5 gallon per flush model. Newer ones are 1.6. There are different flappers for each model. Sometimes it doesn't matter which flapper you use but some toilets are "finicky".

One last thing to try is to partially close the shut off valve to slow the incoming water to the tank. Sometimes the water rushing into the bottom of the tank will keep the flapper open. This might help until you can get a different flapper.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #3

you may JUST have the flapper chain too short,,,try adjusting it longer so it raises it but not enough to let it flip backwards!! 'some' of them are designed to 'float' for awhile then flip back....IF its too long then it may not complete flush,so experiment. SPEED of flipping the lever down makes 'some' difference,,but make it reliable OR water costs will eat you up!! Good luck OR next idea is as stated ,,,try a dif flapper.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flapper, toilet repair