Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Which toilet flange repair ring to use?

So our old toilet was knocked loose surprisingly easily, and we removed it to find this:

The flange is embedded in the concrete. And the bolts were NOT in the proper slots on the left & right; rather, they were in the warped/broken notches on the top and bottom (where the concrete was carved out below the notches). Yet another surprise from the previous owners of this house.

Rather than an expensive job of digging up the concrete and installing a new flange -- something I am not skilled/qualified to do, and can't afford right now to hire someone -- I have read about people successfully using repair rings. So I cut out the warped parts of the flange and used some Quikrete to fill in the holes and level the concrete around the embedded flange. I'm thinking this should be solid enough to use a repair ring, as I won't be drilling into the Quikrete. I picked up some 1-1/4" long Tapcons and found a few different rings. Any thoughts on which would be best?

The first two are Superior Tools Super Rings (original model -- link -- and some new differently shaped one; not sure if there's a benefit), and the second one is a stainless steel Sioux Chief Repair Ring -- link. If anyone has any thoughts on or experience with any of these, your advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

nutlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,368

I suggest either one of the two on the left---they have wider attachment points so hitting solid flooring should be easier.

Check the height of the new flange/repair--make sure the toilet will seat with enough room for a wax ring.

A simple all wax ring might be the safest method.

ben's plumbing (03-17-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #3

Is it an inside flange or an outside? Mine had outside flanges imbedded in the concrete. I used a cheapo wood chisel to remove the plastic (because you will at some point drive it into the concrete) down to level with the top of the pipe in the floor. Then use a cold chisel to chisel the concrete flat. Put an inside flange with 4 1/4" red head anchors and its fixed.

No clue if it's good practice/to code or not but our toilets are rock solid with no leaks.
horseonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,090

I hope that test plug was not also in place when you removed the toilet.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I suggest either one of the two on the left---they have wider attachment points so hitting solid flooring should be easier.

Check the height of the new flange/repair--make sure the toilet will seat with enough room for a wax ring.

A simple all wax ring might be the safest method.
Yeah, that was definitely something I noticed. Good call.

The height is a bit of a concern. It may not be obvious from the overhead camera angle, but the current flange is recessed BELOW floor level. It's embedded down in the concrete, so the top of the flange is about level with the concrete -- and about 1/8" lower than the tile. Do I need a spacer/stacking ring to raise it up (before or after the black Super Ring)? Or just use an oversized wax ring -- maybe the kind with the black "funnel" attached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseonthefly View Post
Is it an inside flange or an outside? Mine had outside flanges imbedded in the concrete. I used a cheapo wood chisel to remove the plastic (because you will at some point drive it into the concrete) down to level with the top of the pipe in the floor. Then use a cold chisel to chisel the concrete flat. Put an inside flange with 4 1/4" red head anchors and its fixed.
I think it's an inside, and it looks like it narrows to 3" right at the top. I was concerned about trying to remove that without having to remove the whole top part of the pipe -- which is beyond my skill set and budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I hope that test plug was not also in place when you removed the toilet.
Heh, no. That would be bad. I used that as I didn't know how long this project would take, and figured it'd be a better seal over time than an old shirt or rag.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
DIY staff

Low flange is good--high flange is a problem---if the flange repair is flush with the concrete --use a taller ring---medium or even extended---

Pack that new flange with some extra wax for good luck---
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
if the flange repair is flush with the concrete --use a taller ring---medium or even extended---
Sorry for the dumb question, but use [what kind of] taller ring? You mean a medium or extended wax ring?

The black repair ring will be right on the concrete, and is about the exact same thickness as the tile (1/8", give or take)... so the top of the repair ring will be just about perfectly flush with the tile. Just want to make sure I'm talking about the same thing.

Last edited by nutlog; 03-16-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
DIY staff

Yep---wax ring---medium thick---
jaydevries (03-18-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #9

You may want to take a look at this video prior to using one of those metal rings and/or an extra wax ring.

http://set-rite.com

It is a pretty informative video and shows how to deal with just about any 'surprise' you find underneath any toilet. I have used this and it does the trick on getting a water & gas-tight seal.

Good Luck,

Tom
how2do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #10

Hmm, I'll have to check out that Set-Rite... thanks for that.

The other product I considered was this Fernco wax-free seal. Would you guys wholeheartedly recommend good, old-fashioned wax over this?

http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Inc-FTS..._bxgy_hi_img_b

It looks well-reviewed and I saw notable mention of it being good if the flange was low (i.e. no need for stacked wax rings)... but wasn't sure what you professionals thought for my situation. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #11

No one has any thoughts on the Fernco wax-free seal or the Set-Rite kit (compared to using regular wax or extended or stacked wax rings)?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'd never heard of this till now. After a quick perusal of the reviews in the link you provided I'd say go for it. Seems like there's quite a lot of work involved getting it set-up properly, cleaning toilet, shimming etc... compared to a wax ring, but if it gives you peace of mind then all that effort is worth it.

One note is that it may be difficult to pull if that toilet needs to pulled and used as a clean out when a power auger is used. I've set hundreds of toilets using wax rings and never had a problem yet. However having said that I've probably just jinxed my self. Oh well.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote