Toilet Flange Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Toilet flange problem

Hi, i am reodoing the floors in my bathroom, i am putting in ceramic tiles. I had those stick on tile like thing in there before. When i removed the toilet, i found that the flange is some sort of cast iron which is built into the pipe, or so it seems, it does not seem like an option to remove it. I was thinking i would put one of those twist and set flanges right into it. I really have no other idea what i could do. Has anyone ran into this before? or anything like it?

Advertisement

scotty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #2

Toilet flange problem

Actually would i be able to keep this one and use two wax rings?

Advertisement

scotty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
plumbing contractor

Toilet flange problem

Yes you can just use the same flang and double your wax rings or use flang extender's.
PLUMBINGITALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
MasterPlumber

Toilet flange problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
Actually would i be able to keep this one and use two wax rings?
No, not a good idea. The correct way to do this if you're unwilling to cut out the flange is to use a stacker ring kit. You install the longer bolts onto the existing cast iron flange, the stacker rings then go on top of the cast iron flange until you reach the desired height.
ironrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Toilet flange problem

I assume you are trying to bring the flange up due to the thicker tile. Use extender flanges (available at Home Centers). They come in various thicknesses depending on how much you need to make up. You screw them down using the provided holes in the extender and through the existing flange. No need for longer bolts since the extender flange has slots the exact same as your current flange. Use silicone between the extender and the old flange.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
MasterPlumber

Toilet flange problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
I assume you are trying to bring the flange up due to the thicker tile. Use extender flanges (available at Home Centers). They come in various thicknesses depending on how much you need to make up. You screw them down using the provided holes in the extender and through the existing flange. No need for longer bolts since the extender flange has slots the exact same as your current flange. Use silicone between the extender and the old flange.
I'm not sure what an extender flange is? Do you have a picture? If you're talking about the stacker rings I believe it's best to use the longer bolts connected to the cast iron, then using your nut and washers to hold them down, yes using silicone inbetween. Two bolts, that's it. You don't have to mess around with trying to bolt the stackers down seperately. Also attaching the actual TOILET bolts to the cast iron will give you much better holding power. The toilet will never be pulling up on the cheap plastic rings when tightening down.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #7

Toilet flange problem

I have included a picture in a website of an extender flange. The one shown is different than the ones I normally use since it only has 4 holes for securing it to the old flange and into the floor. PlumBest (sold at Lowes and HD) are heavier duty than the one pictured and has 6 securing holes. They come in 1/4" and 1/2" thicknesses. Others I have seen require longer bolts when installing and just have cutouts for the screws that hold it secure to the floor and old flange. I try to use websites that the typical DIYercan buy from, since most cannot go to an actual Plumbing Supply for contractors.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...ng-117838.aspx
Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
MasterPlumber

Toilet flange problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
I have included a picture in a website of an extender flange. The one shown is different than the ones I normally use since it only has 4 holes for securing it to the old flange and into the floor. PlumBest (sold at Lowes and HD) are heavier duty than the one pictured and has 6 securing holes. They come in 1/4" and 1/2" thicknesses. Others I have seen require longer bolts when installing and just have cutouts for the screws that hold it secure to the floor and old flange. I try to use websites that the typical DIYercan buy from, since most cannot go to an actual Plumbing Supply for contractors.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...ng-117838.aspx
Thanks, the one you pictured is pretty much the same as I was talking about and use. Trying to drill into cast iron to attach the ring would take forever and could break the flange. I always attach them to cast iron using the toilet bolts as described in my above post.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #9

Toilet flange problem

I agree with you on that. You always have to determine what the pro's and cons are of any action. Cast iron, even in good shape, can have hidden flaws that can cause a lot more work if you mess with it too much.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
KGP

Rewards Points: 75

Toilet flange problem

I am still in the process of remodeling my bathroom. I have already overcome my toilet issue. Mine was made out of lead and they used that oakem to seal it. Rather than melt it out to avoid any fire to the house (where it was positioned would have been scary to use a flame) I chiseled it out... took a good hour + but I did get it out. Are you sure yours is not lead? Before I started the project, I had no idea lead was even used for a toilet flange, but apparently mine was. Only reason I am asking is because you said it looks as if it was built into the pipe with no way of removing it. That is what mine looked like too...

Advertisement

KGP is offline   Reply With Quote