Toilet Flange Inside Or Outside Drain Pipe? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet Flange Inside or Outside Drain Pipe?

Let me start by saying this is an awesome forum I stumbled upon tonight and am glad I did. Everyone seems real very helpful from the extensive searching I have done to try and answer my question. I have not been able to find my answer so I thought I'd throw out my own question for you guys to help me out.

I am remodeling the bathroom in my condo and want to replace the toilet flange before i tile the floor but I want to make sure I do this right as I cant afford leaking onto my neighboor below. The drain pipe below the toilet is 3 inch diameter PVC pipe which had a destroyed cast iron flange over it. I removed the old flange and I was wondering if I could put a new flange that would fit inside the PVC pipe or do I need to get a flange that will go outside the PVC drain pipe so that I dont restrict the flow and cause clogging when the toilet is installed. I would like to put a flange that would go inside the drain pipe as i feel this would be less likely to leak. Is there a flange I can purchase at home depot or should I get a specialty one from a plumbing supply store? If anyone can shed light on this issue I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone in advance.

Advertisement

sledged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Always inside. But it is unusual to find an iron flange in a PVC pipe, how was it fastened. There should be a hub on the PVC, if not, use a Fernco sleeve to secure things.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

Inside works fine---properly installed the outside ones also work well.

The flange should be installed before the tile---tile is cut around the flange.

If the ring is a bit low--you can get a thicker wax ring-------

However---if the flange is to high--there may not be enough room for your wax ring.

--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Inside works fine---properly installed the outside ones also work well.

The flange should be installed before the tile---tile is cut around the flange.

If the ring is a bit low--you can get a thicker wax ring-------

However---if the flange is to high--there may not be enough room for your wax ring.

--Mike--
???

I thought the new flange should be installed after the tile is laid with the flange sitting directly on top of the tile. With the new flange going inside the existing drain pipe.

At least thats how I did mine this past weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Flange Inside or Outside Drain Pipe?-closet-20flange.jpg  
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 254

Either way, your toilet probably has a 2" or 2 1/8" outlet
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 164

I admire your courage. I live in a condo and I rebuilt my bathroom, new shower ,fixtures etc. but I am on the ground floor. If I messed up, the leak would be into the basement. I would never have tried it if I lived on a higher floor with other owners under me. Huge potential grief from the person under you, the Board of Managers etc.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Knows everything but that

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
???

I thought the new flange should be installed after the tile is laid with the flange sitting directly on top of the tile. With the new flange going inside the existing drain pipe.

At least thats how I did mine this past weekend.
In my bathroom, the entire flange was exposed and they have a larger repair flange bracket holding it underneath and to the subfloor. I didnt think it was right but it still worked. Ive since made it look like your diagram and that also works.

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
In my bathroom, the entire flange was exposed and they have a larger repair flange bracket holding it underneath and to the subfloor. I didnt think it was right but it still worked. Ive since made it look like your diagram and that also works.

Shane
The diagram should really look more like this. I cna't imagine putting in a flange that went outside teh drain pipe. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

It's like when you put tar paper on a roof you start at the bottom and overlap as you go upwards. If you did it the other way around rain would be able to flow under the lower tar paper
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Flange Inside or Outside Drain Pipe?-closet-20flange.jpg  
Old 04-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Knows everything but that

Rewards Points: 150

Ah I didnt even notice that part of it. I was only looking at the relation to the tile/floor. My flange is inside the pipe.

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 40

As I understand it the flange should be flush with the tile if possible, not sitting on the tile but I think it can be adapted to work either way.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #11

Excellent advice guys, thanks again, makes me lil more confident when installing the new flange. Now for one more question I forgot to ask, how would you guys suggest removing the left over plastic from the old flange that is still glued into the drain pipe? The drain pipe sticks up out of the ground and seems to have some extra slack so I was thinking of cutting off the old flange with minimal reduction of the drain pipe length as possible. Anyone have any other suggestions? Its appreciated.
sledged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

If the inside of the pipe is damaged with glue--consider using the flange that glues to the outside of the pipe.

I was serious about setting the flange first and then tiling up to it.That is the proper method.
I do kitchens and baths for a living. You can run into serious problems setting the flange on top of the tile.

Ask the plumbers if you don't believe me.---You do not want to be drilling into your tile to secure the flange to the sub floor?

If my count is correct I've done 17 bath remodels in the last year---Put the flange first--then the tile.

---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Thurman (01-30-2011)
Old 04-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
The diagram should really look more like this. I cna't imagine putting in a flange that went outside teh drain pipe. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

It's like when you put tar paper on a roof you start at the bottom and overlap as you go upwards. If you did it the other way around rain would be able to flow under the lower tar paper
If it's properly glued it shouldn't matter if it's inside or outside of the pipe... couplers, elbows, wyes and tees always will have one end with the wrong "overlap" from your analogy. They don't leak when primed and glued correctly, even when horizontal.
mrlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlouie View Post
If it's properly glued it shouldn't matter if it's inside or outside of the pipe... couplers, elbows, wyes and tees always will have one end with the wrong "overlap" from your analogy. They don't leak when primed and glued correctly, even when horizontal.
Good Point
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #15

The flange should be mounted on top of the finished floor. No number of wax rings stacked will keep the toilet from leaking in the future. I found this product called "Set-Rite Extender Kit" it works with both new installations and remodel jobs. The kit has a flange gasket and also works with a wax ring. The company has an installation video on YouTube and their website. Saved me a lot of time and money.

Advertisement

Last edited by how2do; 01-29-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: forgot the website
how2do is offline   Reply With Quote