Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet Flange & Floor Damage

We took up our old toilet yesterday and found this mess underneath it.
There are several uneven spots and small voids in the concrete where it looks like it has crumbled.
We are on the second story in two-story condos. I don't know what is under these two layers of obviously mucked up linoleum, but we are re-doing the floors within a few weeks here and all will be revealed, problem is, we need a working toilet in the room.
The former toilet sat slightly lopsided and I see why.
Also: the metal part of the flange in these pics is free-spinning around the pipe, with no collar as far as I can see. Is this elbow somehow with a flange fused on? All the ones I saw online had a collar that fit inside the drain pipe or outside of it, but still, a color, not just a metal ring with some holes in it. Also, because of the voids, it seems to flex a bit, which can't be good.

We took out the floor screws that hold the flange tot he floor and one of them was free-spinning in a crumbly concrete spot. Is there a way to spot-patch concrete? I'd like to not make new holes in this while these cracks and crumbles are here. Floor seems solid, except for right around this ring of the drain pipe.
Do we need to make sure the floor is close to flush with the top of the pipe and install a new flange?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Flange & Floor Damage-photo-3.jpg   Toilet Flange & Floor Damage-photo-5.jpg   Toilet Flange & Floor Damage-photo-1.jpg   Toilet Flange & Floor Damage-photo-4.jpg  

New_2_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
DIY staff

If the steel ring is still sound--and it looks like it---you could probably save that one---

Changing out that flange will ,most likely, involve your neighbors down below---

Chip--scrape or blow out all loose concrete---pack the two bolt slots with plumbers putty--Mix a batch of two part epoxy--pour it all around and under the flange---install your Tapcon screws--pray.

When you are ready to install the toilet---cut a thin slice off the top of a wax ring---use that to cover the top of the ring and form it over and into the pipe--just enough to give that ring/plastic junction a good seal--

Add you bolts---a new wax ring on top and set that toilet.

Evstarr (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Add you bolts---a new wax ring on top and set that toilet.
When it comes to setting the toilet, it has some unevenness in the floor, so I was going to use toilet shims and silicone instead of caulk to make it stable after the initial press into the wax ring, kind of filling in the voids, was going to leave it for 24 hours to set, was told not to sit on it for 24 hours after all the caulking or whatever was in place. How much weight is the right amount to set the toilet?

Thanks
New_2_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, damage, flange, floor, toilet