Toilet Flange Floor Advice - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 75

Toilet flange floor advice

This past weekend was demolition weekend for my bathroom. As I was removing the 5 layers of vinyl and chip board underneath I found that near the toilet it was ply wood instead, good. Except it had been built up more with particle board which I had to remove around the edge of the flange.
It seems that the flange for the toilet and the L pipe is one continuous metal piece. The flange looks in good condition. So comes the issue of how to deal with the flooring. (I forgot to take a picture last night, I'll take one tonight and add it in a reply post)

Should I:
A. tear out the plywood around the flange and when I install new stuff apply it in several pieces to fit around/underneath the flange.

B. Cut off the flange entirely (or the whole L pipe) and tear up the old plywood and put a new single piece over that area.

C. Leave the current plywood and just build it up with pieces of additional plywood underneath the edge of the flange.

Advertisement

Hobb3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

What kind of material is the drain made of? ABS ? PVC ? Cast Iron ?

If it's ABS, i'd just replace the flange as long as you have the floor torn up. Those metal rings don't last forever. I'd replace it with a nice TKO flange if they're available in your area. These are our favorites out here. Use corrosion resistant screws... big fat stainless buggers.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
weekend warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
What kind of material is the drain made of? ABS ? PVC ? Cast Iron ?

If it's ABS, i'd just replace the flange as long as you have the floor torn up. Those metal rings don't last forever. I'd replace it with a nice TKO flange if they're available in your area. These are our favorites out here. Use corrosion resistant screws... big fat stainless buggers.
It's solid metal all the way, so I'm going to guess cast iron.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
weekend warrior

Here is a picture of the flange in question.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet flange floor advice-flange.jpg  
Old 04-14-2008, 11:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Thats copper. Is your new subfloor going to be at the same height? Or better yet is your new floor complete going to be as high as just under the flange? or flush with the flange? If so you could cut a couple of pieces and slide them under the flange and put new screws in the flange. you just can't have that flange sitting higher than the floor. It ideally needs to be sitting just on top of the finished floor. If you have it flush or just a hair below you could use a thicker wax ring and be ok.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
weekend warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber Jim View Post
Thats copper. Is your new subfloor going to be at the same height? Or better yet is your new floor complete going to be as high as just under the flange? or flush with the flange? If so you could cut a couple of pieces and slide them under the flange and put new screws in the flange. you just can't have that flange sitting higher than the floor. It ideally needs to be sitting just on top of the finished floor. If you have it flush or just a hair below you could use a thicker wax ring and be ok.
Oh yeah, I guess I should have figured it was copper with all the green colouring. I'll have to calculate how high the new sub floor is going to be in comparison. Some how I doubt the new finished floor will be just has high as the old one was, as it had several layers of vinyl built up over the years.
When you say it should be sitting just on top of the finished floor, we plan on laying new subfloor, backer board, and then using acrylic tiles for the flooring. So should I be cutting and positioning the tiles to fit under the edge of the flange, so that the flange is sitting on the tiles and then screw it in through there?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Exactly. The tile should be just below the flange, there shouldn't be any gap between the flange and the finished floor, Then screw the flange down.

Advertisement

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote