Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #1

Share |
Question

toilet flange on concrete

if a flange is set in concrete, is it acceptable to not screw it in ? i am inclined to believe so because how the hell would it break loose ? assuming it is a fixed-collar PVC flange and not one with a loose metal collar.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

If a PVC white plastic flange isn't firmly screwed to the concrete (I use 4 tapcons), the plastic flange may eventually pull up and bend with the use and movement of the toilet, causing the wax ring to lose its seal. I speak here from experience.
Always screw/bolt the flange firmly to the floor structure with only the thickness of the flange above finished floor level, and bolt the toilet snuggly to the flange to prevent any movement.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #3

Question

okay then. since i will need to set the flange and then pour some mortar patcher around, i was thinking of setting screw anchors in wet patcher to save myself the trouble of drilling holes afterwards. of course, that will need to be calibrated accurately. does that sound like a viable plan ?
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

With a hammerdrill and a 1/4" masonary bit, drilling is quite easy. I'd save mysef the aggrivation of having to be deadnuts on with the anchors in wet patch....but thats just me. If you dont mind it, go for it.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Licensed Master Plumber

amakarevic,
If you just don't want to drill holes, use "drop-in" type anchors installed in the flange before you pour the concrete back and you should be fine. Just snug the screws initially. After the concrete has cured (wait at least a couple of days if possible), go back and tighten the screws.

If possible, use concrete, not mortar mix, it will be harder and less likely to crumble. Make sure you work it in thoroughly under and around the flange. You want the area between the anchors and the pipe to be free of voids so the concrete doesn't break out when you tighten the anchors.

If you have a small hammer drill, JDC is right, you will probably get a better job using it. One reason is because you can leave the flange off and really get the concrete completely filled around the pipe. This will do two things, help the anchors hold better and keep the pipe from wobbling in the hole.

Check out my goofy video for my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote