Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #1

Share |

toilet flange

how to you get the flange off the pipe? PVC

econdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #2

toilet flange

Assuming you're needing to replace the flange for some reason?

If it is a PVC flange and PVC pipe, it is a glued joint and the only way to get it off is to cut it off from the underside. You can use a handsaw or a sawzall with a fine blade. In order to install a new one you'll need to replace a small section of pipe to make up the length you cut off.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #3

toilet flange

it is on the second floor I cant access it without ripping up floor, the flange was broke where the bolts hold the toilet to floor.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #4

toilet flange

I got bad news for you Dave. You're going to have to cut an access hole in the first floor ceiling to get at it.

I'm not aware of any sort of product that could overlay the existing flange as a repair, but you might (big maybe) be able to get by with a brass floor flange set right on top of the broken flange. It would have to be secured really well. You'd need to use a wax ring with a black rubber extension in it to go down into the plastic flange.

Hopefully a plumber will chime in and can let you know if there's a decent chance that will work, or another product.

I really wish they'd never came up with PVC floor flanges. I think they're junk.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #5

toilet flange

things just went from bad to worse, I broke the sewer pipe that connects to the flange. What a nightmare this is going to be because the pipe is also connected to my bathroom sink. Are we talking floor tear out?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #6

toilet flange

Yipes, things went from bad to worse. Wish I had logged in earlier since I could have saved you with just the flange problem. Most Home Centers carry what is called a "Super flange" that you just place over the broken flange and screw down to the floor. Now you are talking removing whatever it takes to access the pipe for replacement.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #7

toilet flange

thanks, wished i did a little more research before breaking S@#t. What a mess I have now.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #8

toilet flange

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Yipes, things went from bad to worse. Wish I had logged in earlier since I could have saved you with just the flange problem. Most Home Centers carry what is called a "Super flange" that you just place over the broken flange and screw down to the floor. Now you are talking removing whatever it takes to access the pipe for replacement.
Just saw that on the other thread. Heck of a handy product. I've never seen one before.

Econdave, I don't know where you broke the pipe, but if it is possible to access the plumbing by cutting a hole in the ceiling below, that's the way to go. Removal of the floor to access plumbing could get incredibly involved and rather expensive. If you cut out sheetrock beneath, you can replace it and only have to worry about making it look good, whereas cutting out the floor would require taking out enough floor to replace the floor sheathing from joist to joist.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #9

toilet flange

took your advice and have accessed plumbing throug ceiling in garage. That will be a easy fix. I have three drains that connect to this mess of a junction. I will try to post pics. I also have supply lines in the way of cutting the PVC. Will have to cut them out of the way also. What a mess. Thanks for now for the advice.

Man I wish I seen that flange fix earlier.. My toilet would be in and I would be pool side.......
Old 07-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #10

toilet flange

heres what I have to deal with, any ideas?
Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #11

toilet flange

Quote:
Originally Posted by econdave View Post
Man I wish I seen that flange fix earlier.. My toilet would be in and I would be pool side.......
Wish I had known about the repair kit for a plastic flange so I could have advised doing that instead of replacement. Sorry! Even when you're around this stuff day in and day out, there's still always things you don't know. I just proved that.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #12

toilet flange

heres what I have to cut out and re-plumb. At least the access was easy and I dont have to tear out the floor..