Toilet Flange - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

toilet flange

I would like to replace a toilet flange that is attached to 3'' copper pipe. Can I just cut the pipe (I have access to the pipe from the basement). What method is recommended to re-attach the flange? Is there a way to marry the copper with ABS? Looking for any solution!!


rosey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Doing it myself
Alan's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,798
Rewards Points: 2,086
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I haven't actually seen any copper drainage systems yet, but i'd assume this process would be similar to joining abs to cast iron and galvanized.... We use rubber couplers called 'fernco couplers'. Not sure however if that is common practice for copper DWV.


Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Plumbing Contractor
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 75

Hi all:

Hey, Alan's heading you in the right direction...

You can use either fernco or mission style clamps for this purpose...but they need to be of the shielded coupling design...(see pic.).

Fernco couplings that only have two clamps (no shield...see pic.) are primarily for underground installations...and even then are illegal in most areas that I know about (not saying not allowed in some places, just not best choice in this case). Never mind that the copper is significantly smaller than the ABS plastic so simply won't work without a reducing transition clamp.

Since transitioning from 3" copper to 3" ABS you should just need to go to a local PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE (home depot won't have these in most areas) and order a:

3" copper x 3" ABS plastic mission style shielded coupling (clamp)...guaranteed not to leak and meets all code requirements...that I know about.

Hope that helped guys...
Attached Images

Last edited by Boston Plumber; 05-10-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Boston Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,670
Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with using a transition clamp. No-hub is a common brand name of shielded clamp/connectors. The rubber seal inside has different size opening on each end to fit the materials you are changing to. I would also mention that since Codes in areas can be different about what is allowable, ask when purchasing the material for repair. In Ohio and Florida, shielded couplings were allowed underground while Fernco was not.
If you have never made a mistake, you haven't done much.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

it's done...I have cut the copper and purchased a coupler from my plumbing store. I also have a new flange and some abs to adjust the height of the flange when I have my flooring in. Thanks for the help!!!
rosey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toilet closet flange kensington Plumbing 5 04-27-2008 08:19 AM
Toilet Flange and Flooring brneilly Remodeling 4 04-20-2008 11:37 AM
Toilet flange floor advice Hobb3s Plumbing 6 04-15-2008 09:41 AM
Rusted toilet flange on PVC pipe wyoming777 Plumbing 15 11-09-2007 09:53 PM
Toilet Flange txbostont Plumbing 5 10-31-2007 11:01 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1