Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet Filling Slowly

I did not think I would haft to seek assistance for this issue though I can't seem to fix it!

My toilet recently started filling very slowly so I replace the fill valve and the same problem persisted it would fill very quickly the first time (after turning the water back on at the valve) but after a flush it would start hissing at the top of the fill valve like it was venting air, spraying a fine mist of water.

So I thought maybe the valve was bad so I replace the thing you turn (valve?) and the supply line.

Problem still persist.

So at this point I have replaced the fill valve, supply line, and valve feeding the supply line.

The CL line is 1 inch above the little pvc tube, and the black hose from the fill valve is connected to the supplied clip on the PVC.

The only thing I can think of is there might be a pressure imbalance, maybe a leak in the pipe?

Edit: Might be worth mentioning I have fantastic water pressure.

-Snow

Last edited by snow4dayz; 02-04-2012 at 02:13 PM.
snow4dayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Toilet Filling Slowly

You could of had a scale build up in the shut off valve and closeing it could have broke it loose.

When you replaced the fill valve and restored water the scale could have traveled in the fill valve causing a restriction.

After I replace a fill valve I always flow the water through the supply line before reconnecting to the fill valve.

If you used a fluid master valve the top can be removed and cleaned. Otherwise loosen the supply and check flow if flow is ok then either clean the new fill valve or replace it again

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumber101 For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #3

Toilet Filling Slowly

Thanks for your quick response. I cleaned the new fill valve from top to bottom at about 3am this morning, cleaned it with a wire brush. The flow coming out of the supply line is enough it soaked me in under 5 seconds. I have taken about 3 toilet showers since this endeavor began, with that aside, do you think I could have gotten a bad fill valve? Also I noticed when toying with the valve the water in the pipe fluctuates if I turn the pressure down by slightly turning the angle stop valve the water will recess into the pipe, is this normal behavior?

-Snow
Old 02-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Toilet Filling Slowly

Some thing to think about, if you have hot and cold water mix for the toilet, that valve could have some build up that is cutting down the flow.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

Toilet Filling Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Some thing to think about, if you have hot and cold water mix for the toilet, that valve could have some build up that is cutting down the flow.
Judging by the run I saw under the house it is just cold water.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Toilet Filling Slowly

And at the angle stop at the floor or wall for the toilet you have great pressure?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #7

Toilet Filling Slowly

Quote:
And at the angle stop at the floor or wall for the toilet you have great pressure?
Very good pressure. Enough to fill the toilet in under 6 seconds.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Toilet Filling Slowly

How about a picture of the fill valve?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Water Treatment

Toilet Filling Slowly

There is some thing about that toilet fill valve that is not right, even new ones can be bad..
If there is good pressure all the way to the bottom of the tank, then there should be good pressure coming out into the tank, the only thing in the way is the fill valve assembly.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #10

Toilet Filling Slowly

Quote:
There is some thing about that toilet fill valve that is not right, even new ones can be bad..
If there is good pressure all the way to the bottom of the tank, then there should be good pressure coming out into the tank, the only thing in the way is the fill valve assembly.
thats good you have great pressure but this could be a bad thing because it could be to high..get it checked sounds to me like it is too high...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

Toilet Filling Slowly

Quote:
I went out on a limb and bought another fill valve, this corrected the issue. Guess the one I got before was defective.

-Snow