Toilet Fill Valve? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

toilet fill valve?

I just moved into my house last september, the toilet needed a new fill valve and flapper. So I bought this yellow and black brasscraft fill valve and everytime I turn the water on somewhere in the house the toilet runs for a few seconds, even if I don't run water it runs every so often. Someone told me to lower the fill valve in the toilet. I did that but it still does it. Do I need to get a different fill valve or what?

Advertisement

Roundeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

toilet fill valve?

is the little refill tube attatched to the top of the overflow pipe or just stuck inside it? if it isnt attatched to the top the water is siphoning out of the tank through the tube and the fill valve is coming on to refill the tank. if it isnt that then the flapper is leaking. not all fit all flappers fit all tanks perfectly. does it shut off when it reaches the water level line in the tank?

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #3

toilet fill valve?

It shuts off when it reaches the right level. Its suppose to be an anti siphon valve. The refill hose hooks from the top of the fill valve to a hard plastic line that flows into the fill tube. Im looking at the fill valve and noticed water dripping from the top of the fill valve. So I guess that means I need a new fill valve. Is there a better brand or different style that's better.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

toilet fill valve?

I like Fluidmaster better than any others i've used. They are cheep, (around 10-12 bucks), very dependable, easy to install and about the only thing i've ever had go wrong with one is the little rubber diaphragm and it's only a buck or two every few years, and can be replaced without tools. I haven't found a better one for any price anywhere.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 07-25-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

toilet fill valve?

Sounds to me that your flapper is not sealed properly hope you still have your old flapper to match it up with a new one.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,018

toilet fill valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
I like Fluidmaster better than any others i've used. They are cheep, (around 10-12 bucks), very dependable, easy to install and about the only thing i've ever had go wrong with one is the little rubber diaphragm and it's only a buck or two every few years, and can be replaced without tools. I haven't found a better one for any price anywhere.
Do you replace the hose to the shutoff valve when you replace the toilet valve?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #7

toilet fill valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
On most of my units (small motel and some rental property) i have replaced the hoses over the years with the stainless braided flex hoses. I have yet to have one of those fail. If i run in to a unit that the hose hasn't been replaced, i will replace it with the flex. Better safe than sorry. I keep a couple of them on hand at all times. If they break, you can bet it's gonna be after hours.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 07-26-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

toilet fill valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundeye View Post
It shuts off when it reaches the right level. Its suppose to be an anti siphon valve. The refill hose hooks from the top of the fill valve to a hard plastic line that flows into the fill tube. Im looking at the fill valve and noticed water dripping from the top of the fill valve. So I guess that means I need a new fill valve. Is there a better brand or different style that's better.
That didn't really answer the question. Is the open end of the tube attached to the side of the overflow, or is it stuck down inside of the overflow?

Anti-siphon fill valve has nothing to do with this.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 256

toilet fill valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88

I have heard good thinks about the braided stainless.
My issue with those is that they are more expensive and length specific.
I manage rental unit and use the grey pex connectors.
They trim to length easily and can be bent by hand.
They are $1, look professional, and I've never had or seen a leak like I have with the flexible plastic ones.

I've re-used them when I don't have another handy, but replace when I do, never had a proble either way.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #10

toilet fill valve?

The rubber fill line is mounted to the side of the overflow tube. I took a packet of koolaid and put it in the tank, koolaid ended up in the bowl. I then marked where the water level was in the tank and shut the water off the the water level had dropped. So do I replace the tank bolts and seals or do I change the flapper. (Not sure if its the right flapper)
Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #11

toilet fill valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundeye View Post
The rubber fill line is mounted to the side of the overflow tube. I took a packet of koolaid and put it in the tank, koolaid ended up in the bowl. I then marked where the water level was in the tank and shut the water off the the water level had dropped. So do I replace the tank bolts and seals or do I change the flapper. (Not sure if its the right flapper)

if kool-aid ended up in the bowl then it sounds like the flapper is leaking. You might try cleaning the little rim that the flapper seats on. Sometimes they get crud built up and will cause leaks, but if it's smooth i'd say you need a new flapper. If it were your tank bolts and washers, you'd likely see water running down around the base of the toilet. Water leaking from them would not end up in the bowl but would likely be dripping on the outside. If your not sure of the correct size flapper, measure the round ring where the flapper seats. The flapper should be just slightly larger to get a good seal.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 07-26-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #12

toilet fill valve?

Alright Ill give it a try, thanks.

Advertisement