DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   toilet fill valve? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/toilet-fill-valve-111934/)

Roundeye 07-25-2011 02:39 PM

toilet fill valve?
 
I just moved into my house last september, the toilet needed a new fill valve and flapper. So I bought this yellow and black brasscraft fill valve and everytime I turn the water on somewhere in the house the toilet runs for a few seconds, even if I don't run water it runs every so often. Someone told me to lower the fill valve in the toilet. I did that but it still does it. Do I need to get a different fill valve or what?

DannyT 07-25-2011 02:45 PM

is the little refill tube attatched to the top of the overflow pipe or just stuck inside it? if it isnt attatched to the top the water is siphoning out of the tank through the tube and the fill valve is coming on to refill the tank. if it isnt that then the flapper is leaking. not all fit all flappers fit all tanks perfectly. does it shut off when it reaches the water level line in the tank?

Roundeye 07-25-2011 03:13 PM

It shuts off when it reaches the right level. Its suppose to be an anti siphon valve. The refill hose hooks from the top of the fill valve to a hard plastic line that flows into the fill tube. Im looking at the fill valve and noticed water dripping from the top of the fill valve. So I guess that means I need a new fill valve. Is there a better brand or different style that's better.

Lightfoot 07-25-2011 08:27 PM

I like Fluidmaster better than any others i've used. They are cheep, (around 10-12 bucks), very dependable, easy to install and about the only thing i've ever had go wrong with one is the little rubber diaphragm and it's only a buck or two every few years, and can be replaced without tools. I haven't found a better one for any price anywhere.

epson 07-25-2011 08:40 PM

Sounds to me that your flapper is not sealed properly hope you still have your old flapper to match it up with a new one.

handy man88 07-25-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightfoot (Post 693573)
I like Fluidmaster better than any others i've used. They are cheep, (around 10-12 bucks), very dependable, easy to install and about the only thing i've ever had go wrong with one is the little rubber diaphragm and it's only a buck or two every few years, and can be replaced without tools. I haven't found a better one for any price anywhere.

Do you replace the hose to the shutoff valve when you replace the toilet valve?

Lightfoot 07-26-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handy man88 (Post 693675)
Do you replace the hose to the shutoff valve when you replace the toilet valve?

On most of my units (small motel and some rental property) i have replaced the hoses over the years with the stainless braided flex hoses. I have yet to have one of those fail. If i run in to a unit that the hose hasn't been replaced, i will replace it with the flex. Better safe than sorry. I keep a couple of them on hand at all times. If they break, you can bet it's gonna be after hours.

Alan 07-26-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roundeye (Post 693357)
It shuts off when it reaches the right level. Its suppose to be an anti siphon valve. The refill hose hooks from the top of the fill valve to a hard plastic line that flows into the fill tube. Im looking at the fill valve and noticed water dripping from the top of the fill valve. So I guess that means I need a new fill valve. Is there a better brand or different style that's better.

That didn't really answer the question. Is the open end of the tube attached to the side of the overflow, or is it stuck down inside of the overflow?

Anti-siphon fill valve has nothing to do with this.

michaelcherr 07-26-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handy man88

Do you replace the hose to the shutoff valve when you replace the toilet valve?

I have heard good thinks about the braided stainless.
My issue with those is that they are more expensive and length specific.
I manage rental unit and use the grey pex connectors.
They trim to length easily and can be bent by hand.
They are $1, look professional, and I've never had or seen a leak like I have with the flexible plastic ones.

I've re-used them when I don't have another handy, but replace when I do, never had a proble either way.

Roundeye 07-26-2011 11:46 AM

The rubber fill line is mounted to the side of the overflow tube. I took a packet of koolaid and put it in the tank, koolaid ended up in the bowl. I then marked where the water level was in the tank and shut the water off the the water level had dropped. So do I replace the tank bolts and seals or do I change the flapper. (Not sure if its the right flapper)

Lightfoot 07-26-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roundeye (Post 693977)
The rubber fill line is mounted to the side of the overflow tube. I took a packet of koolaid and put it in the tank, koolaid ended up in the bowl. I then marked where the water level was in the tank and shut the water off the the water level had dropped. So do I replace the tank bolts and seals or do I change the flapper. (Not sure if its the right flapper)


if kool-aid ended up in the bowl then it sounds like the flapper is leaking. You might try cleaning the little rim that the flapper seats on. Sometimes they get crud built up and will cause leaks, but if it's smooth i'd say you need a new flapper. If it were your tank bolts and washers, you'd likely see water running down around the base of the toilet. Water leaking from them would not end up in the bowl but would likely be dripping on the outside. If your not sure of the correct size flapper, measure the round ring where the flapper seats. The flapper should be just slightly larger to get a good seal.

Roundeye 07-26-2011 01:17 PM

Alright Ill give it a try, thanks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved