Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet drain problem

Hi ... I'm replacing 2 older toilets with 2 new American standard( tank/bowl ) . Both are the same model and its 13 litre tanks . I notice that they don't flush well . When I try to flush the water will spin around but it doesn't flush it all the way . I know the drain pipes aren't clog . Any idea what might be causing these units not to flush thoroughly ?

Thanks
dutchdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 AM   #2

Toilet drain problem

There are still some low-flow toilets that do not work well. What model is this?? Check Comsumers website for low-flow toilets that really work.
Just Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
BIGRED

Toilet drain problem

To answer your question directly dutchdude, the answer is VOLUME OF WATER. The underlying problem is GOVERMENT MEDDLING.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #4

Toilet drain problem

Thanks for responding . Well I spoke with the company I bought them from and after awhile with them , they decided to send one of their plumbers to have a look . So now I will wait and see . They did mention they would change the bowls .
Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
BIGRED

Toilet drain problem

It's not a bowl problem. When the flush valve opens it only stays open for 5-10 seconds and you use about 1 liter of water to flush the bowl contents. Your old toilets used 3 1/2 gallons of water to start and set a swirl and flush the bowl contents. If you want the new toilets to do the same as the old ones either put a float on the flapper chain or adjust the one thats already on the chain down to the top of the flapper. This will give you such a long open time that you should actually get the equivalent of two full flushes. Screw the Feds. If they want a bowl full of @#$%&*%#) let them use their own rules on their own toilets and let us get on with our lives!!
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #6

Toilet drain problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Bud View Post
It's not a bowl problem. When the flush valve opens it only stays open for 5-10 seconds and you use about 1 liter of water to flush the bowl contents. Your old toilets used 3 1/2 gallons of water to start and set a swirl and flush the bowl contents. If you want the new toilets to do the same as the old ones either put a float on the flapper chain or adjust the one thats already on the chain down to the top of the flapper. This will give you such a long open time that you should actually get the equivalent of two full flushes. Screw the Feds. If they want a bowl full of @#$%&*%#) let them use their own rules on their own toilets and let us get on with our lives!!
Thanks for your tip Though their plumber came today and changed the bowl . So everything seem fine now .
Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #7

Toilet drain problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerrepairguy View Post
What you expierencing is a common problem. What has happend hear is when you purchased these new toilets you failed to tell the retailer what your gravity setting was. TAKE THESE TOILETS BACK and have them adjust the gravity setting. American Standard only supplys the Gravity Setting Codes to the sellers of their products. This is a common mistake and not your fault. once this is done you will be half way impressed at how well your toilet functions.

lawnmowerrepairguy
This is very interesting . How does one know what the gravity setting is ? Its to late for me to return them now . I have had they for just over 2 months before I installed . Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #8

Toilet drain problem

There is no such thing as a gravity setting
He was just trying to make a joke
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Toilet drain problem

Then why is the space stations toilet plugged?
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #10

Toilet drain problem

Big Cosmonaughty
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote