Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
The Late Life Biker

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet on conrete - floor clearance

This is in my basement workshop. Despite careful planning, when I poured the replacement concrete in the trench for the drain on my new toilet installation, I ended up with a clearance issue. I'm sure it was the result of adjusting the run of 4" pipe for proper fall on its way to the sub-concrete soil stack. Anyway, after the pour about 3/4 of an inch of the closet bend's top hub is above the concrete floor line (the inserted 4" down-pipe extends a foot above that).
After I install porcelain floor tile, the lip of the closet bend's top hub will still be about 3/8 of an inch proud of the finish floor surface. Even if I cut the down-pipe flush with the top of the hub, I'll have a lousy situation for fitting a floor flange, which won't rest on the tile. My first thought was to lay a half-inch sheet of Durock under the tile, but my whole purpose in choosing tile was to keep the finish floor as thin as possible to avoid a step up from the basement shop space. AND the Durock would provide a weak hold for the anchor screws to secure the flange.
What I'm wondering is: Can I lay the tile, let it set, and then make the horizontal cut on the down-pipe to INCLUDE that 3/8 of an inch of the hub? There would still be the stub of the down-pipe cemented inside the hub to receive the floor flange. I can see that I might have to shorten the nose piece of floor flange by 3/8", as well.
BTW, it's a DRY basement. Any thoughts will aid me in solving this problem. Thanks.
-paul

Last edited by latelifebiker; 11-15-2012 at 12:41 PM.
latelifebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,300

Your solution will work OK- cut off to finish floor or the what you need to fit the flange. Test fit the toilet to make sure the flange is not too high. Some toilets have clearance issues when a thick flange is above the floor.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

cement board on a concrete floor is no good. if you ran 4 inch a 3 inch flange used to glue right into 4 inch pvc pipe.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
The Late Life Biker

Without Durock--or SOME spacer-- on the concrete floor I have a serious clearance problem with the closet bend keeping the floor flange raised well above the finish floor. Thus my question about cutting off a bit of the closet bend hub wall.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Post a picture----there are a lot of different flanges----although some modification may be needed---it can be done----
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 558

Make a template of the bottom of the toilet, and lay a layer or two of tile where the toilet will sit, plus maybe 1/2" all the way around.

This will just raise the toilet and will be such a pain to do that you will surely never mess up your flange height again.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
The Late Life Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
Make a template of the bottom of the toilet, and lay a layer or two of tile where the toilet will sit, plus maybe 1/2" all the way around.
This will just raise the toilet and will be such a pain to do that you will surely never mess up your flange height again.
You're too late. I've already been ruthlessly punished by my wife, the quality control inspector.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
The Late Life Biker

Here's the photo. It doesn't show much that I didn't describe in the OP.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/u...oiletdrain.jpg
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #9

Cut it off at the top of concrete, then lay your tile or install the flange. Make sure the flange doesn't set too far into the 90 and interfere with the radius of the fitting- dry fit it first without glue. You can trim the pipe end of the flange if needed. I've actually cut hubs down to less then an inch before with no issues
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
The Late Life Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Cut it off at the top of concrete, then lay your tile or install the flange. Make sure the flange doesn't set too far into the 90 and interfere with the radius of the fitting- dry fit it first without glue. You can trim the pipe end of the flange if needed. I've actually cut hubs down to less then an inch before with no issues
Many thanks. That was my thinking as stated in the OP, but I just need some support. This isn't my first rodeo, but it's the first one where I got throwed so hard in the early goin'.
Regards.
-paul
Old 11-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #11

I hear ya. But then if everything was simple- life would be boring

Tags
concrete floor, drain, toilet installation