DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Toilet closet flange (

kensington 04-26-2008 10:17 PM

Toilet closet flange
I am replacing toilet in 35 year old bathroom. The Toilet closet flange broke and now I need a new one. The old one had a Toilet flange with another tube attached to it. Both the Toilet closet flange and tube fit into the actual drainage pipe.
The drainage pipe in the floor looks black and maybe plastic abs? I went to the Home Depot and got a new toilet closet flange that is white in color and a new lower tube part that is also white in color.
What silicone glue (or PVC Cement) do i use for connecting the closet flange to the tube part? Then when I put them together I just slide into the drainage pipe without using any glue?

UFoPilot 04-26-2008 11:05 PM

They make universal plastic pipe glue that will work on ABS and PVC pipe.

Termite 04-26-2008 11:16 PM


Originally Posted by UFoPilot (Post 119325)
They make universal plastic pipe glue that will work on ABS and PVC pipe.

Not all plastic pipe glue can be used to attach PVC to ABS. Most glues are for PVC only or for ABS only, but are not approved for both (although it might work ok). There are a couple that are listed to glue PVC to ABS, but generally it is a no-no unless you use the right glue.

plumber Jim 04-27-2008 12:23 AM

If you have abs pipe you need to use an abs flange and abs cement. the glue that they sell for both is not to code.

Ishmael 04-27-2008 09:06 AM

If the drain pipe is 4" inside diameter, you could try a compression flange.

kensington 04-27-2008 09:19 AM


Yes it is 4" diameter.

I was going to put the glued closet flange/tube part into the drainage without any glue but is sounds like I definetely need to have glue in that part also and it should be universal plastic pipe glue?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.