Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #1

Share |

toilet clogs

My toilet clogs up at least once a day but usually more. If I went with an air assisted flush toilet would that solve my problem? Also do I have to buy a toilet that's specifically air assisted or do they make a kit for any toilet?

Roundeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #2

toilet clogs

OLD toilet(3.5+ gal) or older new style (1.6 gal) toilet??? Old toilet should be retired. They get buildups of calcium in the flush channel and get slower over time. CLR or similar chemicals sometimes rejuvenate them, but they are still water wasters.

Older new style toilets(around 1990-'95 did not work very well!!! Replace these, there is nothing you can do to improve them.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #3

toilet clogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
OLD toilet(3.5+ gal) or older new style (1.6 gal) toilet???

Older new style toilets(around 1990-'95 did not work very well!!! Replace these, there is nothing you can do to improve them.
I'll second that... When we moved into our house I had a 1.6G from circa 1992... what a joke... it hardly could handle liquids let alone solids... I had apologize in advance to anyone not familiar with it, it only lasted about a month before we started gutting the bathroom... now we have a 5G bucket until we're done

To the OP's Q--do you have any other toilets and do they operate normally? How about other drains, are they ever slow?

Did this toilet used to work just fine, or has it always been bad?

When your toilet does clog, does a regular plunging get it going again?

Are the clogs occurring when flushing things that should not normally cause a clog, or do you think it's because there was too much solid waste at the time? (i.e. plumbing issue vs. just a lousy toilet)

What's the plumbing for the toilet like? Does the toilet sit on a slab? Or above a basement? There might be some root intrusion into the drain pipes, or maybe even a partial collapse causing things to block up. If the clogging tends to occur after other water use, like saying, while doing laundry or after taking a shower it might be that the main drain is slow.

Is it possible your main vent stack is blocked? (it would have to to be REALLY blocked to slow a toilet, but it's possible)

If you do replace the toilet, take a good look down the drain pipe to see if you notice anything obvious. If replacing the toilet doesn't help you might also want to consider getting the line inspected with a camera.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #4

toilet clogs

Look up underneath the rim. If those channels are clogged you'll need to clean the out with a non abrasive brush/cloth. Lots of elbow grease and something like CLR should do the trick.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #5

toilet clogs

How do I tell how old the toilet is, and it most clogs anytime there's anything besides liquid like paper or solids. So if its just the toilet then is it worth getting an air assisted flush toilet.
Roundeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #6

toilet clogs

Some foreign object such as a toy soldier lodged in the toilet outlet passage?

A snake might just pass it by and a plunger might dislodge paper and other solids but not the offending object.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

toilet clogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Some foreign object such as a toy soldier lodged in the toilet outlet passage?

A snake might just pass it by and a plunger might dislodge paper and other solids but not the offending object.
+1 ... Probably a pencil or pen stuck in the toilet trap.

1. Empty out all of the water in the bowl using a sponge and then use one of those small mirrors on a rod to try to see if there's a pen in the trap.

2. If you can't see anything, remove the toilet, set it on two saw horses, lay underneath and use the mirror to try to see what's in the trap. Doing it this way allows gravity to move the object to the bottom where you might be able to see it. Try to have a 90 degree forceps or long nose pliers on hand to remove the object.

There was a Bic ball point pen stuck in our toilet and I had to use procedure 2 with some shaking to finally see it. BTW, this was on an older toilet that uses lots of water to flush and not a modern 1.6 gal flush model. So the trap path was much shorter than the 1.6 gal bowls.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 03-09-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote