Toilet Clogged And Leaked Downstairs A Bit, Is This Bad? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Toilet clogged and leaked downstairs a bit, is this bad?

My cat puked all over the house like she likes to do and I don't really want to throw the dirty paper towels in the garbage to hold the smell so I usually put them in the toilet. Now I know it's not that good of an idea to put those in the toilet but I usually try to just put one at a time and I'm good.

Today I had put a lot in one shot and it clogged. I was easily able to plunge it and get it unclogged then I flushed it a bunch of times to make sure it's good to go and that the paper towels are not just sitting a bit further in my plumbing system and dry out or something.

When I went downstairs I noticed a bit of water on the floor where the pipe goes up, and water on the pipe. Not a lot, just to say that it leaked a bit. If I flushed after it did not leak again. I'm thinking this means there is not a 100% good seal at the wax ring. Since this only happened when it clogged, and not during normal operation, should I even worry? I'm thinking the clog was just a bit past the ring so the plunging might of pushed water out of the ring and it fell between the flange and the floor. The toilet was professionally installed not too long ago.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I am thinking that is probably what happened and if it dries up and you do not see water again after flushing maybe you are good to go.

I would recommend sealing the cats paper towels in the future in perhaps a freezer bag and throwing in the trash when the cat acts up again unless you can train her not to do that

Advertisement

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I'd fix the pipe if it's easily accessible to ensure 100% sealed...
Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen S. View Post
I'd fix the pipe if it's easily accessible to ensure 100% sealed...
It's in a very tight spot, and it's hard to tell where it leaked. I am guessing between the pipe and the floor, so maybe I can just add a bunch of sealant there if I can get in that corner.

And yeah next time I'll maybe just put them all in one bag, or just make sure to flush one or two at once only. I had at least 10 in there, so pretty much my own fault there.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I think you are better off just throwing the paper towels into a bag and out with the trash. Tissue paper breaks down pretty fast, paper towels on the other hand are designed to absorb water and will hold together longer. Why risk clogging up your pipes. And by the way, I have three cats, I know what you mean finding stuff all over the house.