Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Toilet Bowl Rim Leak

Greetings to all! I need some help so here goes. Back in June my water bill spiked to nearly $300.00. Fearing the worst I called a plumber who came out and checked for leaks. He told me my two toilets were the culprit and kept running water so I replaced the guts inside each and voila! July and August went by and the water bill returned to normal. This past weekend the water bill is back up to 300.00. I checked the toilets! My guest toilet is fine but the master bedroom toilet is my issue. Water is leaking from the rim of the toilet bowl into the bowl itself. When I shut the water supply to the toilet off I still get leaking water into the bowl. What gives?! I installed the guts properly. If the water supply is shut off and it still leaks would this add to my water bill? Is the main water supply not shutting off and still feeding water into the bowl? The tank itself does not seem to be losing any water. I will add back in February I had my bathroom floors re tiled and the toilet bowls were removed from the floor and resealed when the job was complete with new wax wings. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Msnbcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

Toilet Bowl Rim Leak

It's the flap valve in the tank. It won't appear to be losing water in the tank because it will keep refilling as it leaks into the bowl.

MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Toilet Bowl Rim Leak

He's right, that's the only way I know of that water can get into the rim of the bowl. Through the flapper. Maybe your flush valve is cracked or damaged. What exactly do you mean by "replaced all the guts" ?? Maybe you left the chain too long on the flapper and it's getting stuck between the flapper and flush valve.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #4

Toilet Bowl Rim Leak

I replaced the inside guts with a FluidMaster and replaced the flapper a couple months ago. Last night I again replaced jsut the flapper and it's still leaking. I know you said the water will still fill the tank but my question to that is I never hear any running or filling water. That part shuts off completely.
Msnbcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

Toilet Bowl Rim Leak

Can you provide picture of inside the tank?
Mark Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 16

Toilet Bowl Rim Leak

Use a piece of string or thin wire to hold up the float for the fill valve assembly for an hour. If the tank loses water then there is a leak into the bowl down below, probably the result of the flapper not sealing completely. Check the rim against which the flapper rests for rough spots.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 16

Toilet Bowl Rim Leak

Use a piece of string or thin wire to hold up the float for the fill valve assembly. If the tank loses water then there is a leak into the bowl down below, probably the result of the flapper not sealing completely. Check the rim against which the flapper rests for rough spots.

If you turn off the supply valve below the toilet tank and the flapper is leaking, it will usually be several minutes before the tank empties out and the flow down into the bowl stops.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 14

Toilet Bowl Rim Leak

you can also put food coloring in the tank to color the water and see if that is what is leaking thru the rim???????
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #9

Toilet Bowl Rim Leak

No one thinks of food coloring for toilets leaks good idea!

Mark Potter is offline   Reply With Quote