Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Toilet Bowl Mystery

I have a toilet in a Garden Apartment in a 3 fl building.

The unit is vacant.

The tank fills fine and doesn't leak but the water level in the bowl is low after filling.

Bowl Draining: The water drained out of the bowl (not the tank) after about 2 weeks. The temperature in the unit is 55 degrees. I'm not sure evaporation is the issue.

When someone flushes upstairs I can see the water level fluctuate a bit but it is not venting through the toilet.

Today's Mystery: When I inspected the unit, the water was drained out of the bowl and it looked like dirty water - grit/dirt had filled the bowl and it might have been a back up since there were a few leaves in it. (there was only dirty residue and some leaves).

I had a flood control system installed last summer - a backup valve. When we have severe rains we have gotten water/sewerage in the Spring - nothing recently) We have zero temps and snow and ice.

Tub & Toilet: There is a tub in the bathroom and it's drain is level with the floor. Since the tub and the toilet are on the same line, is it possible for the toilet to get storm back up which would fill the bowl without it also backing up in the tub?

As far as the low toilet bowl level. The tube is inserted properly and the tank fills almost to the top.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. I can't understand the bowl draining, the low fill level, the backup and the tub not showing any backup.

Thanks,

Tom

roztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
bbo

Toilet Bowl Mystery

clogged or frozen vent?

need to snake vent from the roof.

also maybe someone upper floors flushed something not meant to be flushed.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

Toilet Bowl Mystery

I have thought about the vent possibly having some ice build up. We have had considerable below normal temps - below freezing, sub-zero, etc for a month.

What do you think about the leaves in the bowl? also what about the bowl having dirt/leaves and nothing backed up in the tub?

Does that make sense?

Tx Tom
Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #4

Toilet Bowl Mystery

The leaves may be coming down your roof vent into your drain line.
Because your toilet is leaking, and I say leaking because it loses bowl water and not through evaporation as you say, there is no water trap remaining in the toilet, and if your roof vent is plugged with leaves, the toilet acts as the vent when you flush upstairs. When you vent through the toilet, the venting action blows leaves up through its' built in (now empty) trap. The tub still has water in the p-trap below the drain and you get no backdraft through the tub drain.

That's theory 1 in my view..
ChantryOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #5

Toilet Bowl Mystery

Thanks for your response.

That makes a lot of sense... In fact yesterday I filled the sink with water and let it drain and it pulled the water out of the toilet bowl.

SO I assume:

Either the stack needs to be rodded OR since we have had below freezing including severe sub-zero temperatures that possibly the stack has frozen over from warm humid air. ..

What do you think?

Tx Tom
Old 01-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
bbo

Toilet Bowl Mystery

its been a week, I'd either just rod (clean) the vent myself or have a plumber come in and do it.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote