Toilet Bowl To Horizontal Waste Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet Bowl to Horizontal Waste pipe

What type of gasket is needed to connect the toilet bowl to the horizotal waste pipe and how should it be installed? The toilet bowl discharges to the rear (NOT like typical vertical home units). It is a Gerber unit with a flushmate 501-A series. I believe the waste pipe that comes through the back wall is approximately 4 inches. The reason for the inquiry is that a typical wax seal was used which is the improper type of gasket for this type of installation and is currently leaking into the apartment below.

Advertisement

BOBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

As per:

http://www.terrylove.com/wwwboard/messages2/20487.html

They make special kinds of wax seals with felt membranes for wall hung toilets.

Advertisement

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks I will check this out with a plumbing supply store. The toilet bowl rests on the floor with two bolts holding the bowl to the wall and two screws holding the bowl to the floor.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #4

If you have the same type of toilet, the answer is a foam rubber gasket that has two holes on each side for the screws to slide through. I purchased the gasket at Consumers Supply Company on Lake Street (URL: www.consumersplumbing.com) and they knew exactly what I was looking for. Yes, I hired a licensed plumber to install the gasket (BTW, the plumber came with exactly the same gasket that I had purchased) since the problem affected the condo below mine and wanted to make sure it was installed properly. After the bowl surface was completely cleaned and the wall was completely cleaned (no wax or plumbers putty on either side), the plumber applied a small bead of bathroom calk around the pipe and around the bowl opening to insure a water tight fit, placed the gasket on the screws with the flat surface towards the bowl side, and then placed the bowl snuggly against the wall (reinstalling the bolts to the wall and screws to the floor) and the job was done. Now waiting for the bill. A wax gasket is NOT the appropiate fix for this type of installation according to the LICENSED plumber -- this was what caused the problem originally.