Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet

My loo flushes great but when I get back from work it looks like it hasnt cleared properly, the water is discoloured, after I flush it looks clean and not a problem, but am wondering if im getting a back lash from the sewer - I live on the ground floor of a block of 6 flats, doesnt smell at all Jilly

Last edited by JillyMac; 10-21-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: oops spelling mistake
JillyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

Toilet

It is possible that your flush was really not thorough; some of the dirty water did not make it over the hump down inside in back, and over the course of the day impurities diffused and/or migrated through the water still in the toilet bowl and became visible again out front.

In some cases a lump of feces fails to make it over the hump and later in the day it happens to come back into view.

Does this still happen if you waited until the tank refilled, flushed again for good measure, and then left for work?

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-21-2009 at 12:59 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Toilet

Your suspicion of the buiding's waste line backing up and spilling into your first-floor toilet is probably correct. I had a hotel room once that had this problem. The convoy of plumbing and sewer cleaning trucks in the driveway of the hotel was a dead give away of the problem source.

Best to get the main sewer line "snaked" now before the back-up spills over onto the floor of your bathroom.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 AM   #4

Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
It is possible that your flush was really not thorough; some of the dirty water did not make it over the hump down inside in back, and over the course of the day impurities diffused and/or migrated through the water still in the toilet bowl and became visible again out front.

In some cases a lump of feces fails to make it over the hump and later in the day it happens to come back into view.

Does this still happen if you waited until the tank refilled, flushed again for good measure, and then left for work?
Thanks for your reply I have tried that and hope it works !
Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #5

Toilet

Thanks for your reply
Old 10-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #6

Toilet

both solutions are correct and with most of the low flush toilets the second flush cant hurt

elcheepo is offline   Reply With Quote