Toiler Vent Around A Corner - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toiler vent around a corner

I bought a 105 year old house 5 years ago. The house was updated in 1992 with new electric and plumbing. I am now remodeling the bathroom and trying to understand the venting system. I am moving the toilet during the remodeling. The house is on pier and beam with good access and I can see the details in the crawl space. The venting or lack of venting is difficult to understand. I will know much more when I open the walls after Thanksgiving. However I know I will need to run a new vent for the toilet. There is a vent stack on the opposite wall to where the new toilet will be and I may have to run a 2 vent, at least 42 above floor level, to that stack. I cannot go over head due to an attic room above the bathroom. That leaves two possible options; make two 90 degree turns in the wall at the corners or building an overhead soffit to run the vent. Due to my labor and material cost I would prefer the 90 degree approach but have no idea how to run a 2 PVC pipe around a corner without possibly damaging the integrity of the wall. One of the corners is stress bearing because it was originally an outside wall. I am removing all the sheetrock and will have complete access to the wall interior.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Lonny

Advertisement

OurOldHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

if you are adding a soffit go though the soffit. Or you need to build the walls thicker. To keep a turn tight to a corner you 90 up then 90 across. Both turns are now in the wall and this will not effect the air pressure needed to make an adequate vent.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,222

How far from the main soil stack will the toilet be after it's moved? Depending on the answer and/or the applicable code where you live, the toilet may not need a separate vent at all.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote