Tips For Old Gas Line Removal? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

tips for old gas line removal?

Hi. I'm in the middle of replacing the wiring to my garage. While digging I ran into an old gas line that goes from the house to the garage. It's no longer connected to anything but a crappy old stove in the garage, no gas source at all.

The pipe is about 10' long with another 2' off at an angle and then the pieces that run up into the buildings. I don't see any soldering on them but they are pretty old... must be at least 30 or more years old.

So far I have unearthed at least half the pipe and just wondered if there is anything I need to know about pulling it out. I also want to know if I can get the elbows apart somehow or what the best way to cut it is because I will have to get it into manageable pieces to get rid of it all. I don't think I can get the pipe out unless I can break it apart somehow because it isn't flexible and I need to be able to pull on part of it probably to get it loose.

I've never worked with this type of pipe before at all and haven't any special pipe related tools so I would sure appreciate any tips on getting rid of the stuff.

Advertisement

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you are sure that there is not still gas present in the pipe then you can cut it with recip saw. It should unthread at the elbows.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #3

Make SURE that the pipe is disconnected from the gas supply at the house. If the pipe has threaded fittings (elbows and such) it is probably steel pipe and not copper. Then you can follow Redlines suggestion.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #4

I am sure the gas isn't connected as the pipe enters my basement wall and stops right there, no cap or anything, just open to the air.

So, since these are threaded I can probably still get them loose with a couple of monkey wrenches? I don't have a recip.saw.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #5

A couple of 14 or 18" pipe wrenches will probably break the fittings loose.Depends on how much corrosion they have built up. I am assuming you have the room to work on them.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

From those of us who are old East Texas oilfield people with everything on natural gas since the 1930's, I would say if it isn't connected or in your way, why worry about it? Just cut it off only if you need to.
There are (large commercial and small residential) pipelines all over where I grew up that are buried and not connected to anything. No problem.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with Mike Swearingen, and would only take them up if I thought I had a use for them. I recently came across some abandoned gas pipe when I was taking the kitchen floor in my parents house. As luck would have it, I had just purchased some 3/4" black iron to make pipe clamps with earlier that week. Now I have more when I decide I need more clamps (which will happen).
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #8

Well there is some method to my madness.

1) the pipe sticks up above ground and makes a nice hole in the garage that the electrical could go through;

2) I can't get to that hole unless I figure out some way to either pull apart or break the pipe apart;

3) the underground part of the pipe is only about 5" from the surface and it's right in the way of my trench and shovel which means I'm having to dig with my trusty garden spade to get around it...not very efficient;

4) if I can get the ends of that pipe separarted, the buried part will be easy to remove and won't be a future hazard for shovels.

So, it just seemed like a good idea to find a way to get that pipe out of the way while I'm working in that part of the yard anyway.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Journeyman Plumber

If there in the way, remove them by any means possible, all ways are possible, go for it.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

If you don't have a sawzall, it seems like now is the time to buy one. Everyone ought to have one. Think of all the money you saved not having to hire a backhoe. Spend a couple bucks on a sawzall and save yourself the agony of trying to un-do old threaded black iron. Time to get with the times....
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:36 AM   #11
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Yep i agree with MD go by the sawzall which i call a duzall saw it will save you alot of labor in the long run. You will be fighting those pipes with wrenchs for ever. They probably have thread seal on them. I even have a sawzall but its a Milwaukee corded all the other guys here probably have the cordless ones.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:46 AM   #12
I blame ProWallGuy

Failing a reciprcating saw, one of these will certainly cut it.

Almost everyone has a hacksaw. Slower, but it works just fine.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:20 AM   #13

Thanks for the tips. Seeing the pictures of the hacksaws...I just may have one of those. I have a bunch of my dads old tools in a box around here (I have a lot of boxes around here I haven't unpacked yet) and I think there was something that looked like that in his stuff.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #14
I blame ProWallGuy

Buy a new blade for it, and if its not a high tension saw, you might want to invest $20.00 in one. The low tension will allow the blade to flex and bind or bend.

Advertisement

Double A is offline   Reply With Quote