Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Tips for HEAVY sink install

I want to replace the sink in my kitchen and the sink I bought is insanely heavy. It's a struggle for two people to move from one spot to the other. So this will make installing it very difficult considering it'll just be me and my husband. So I'm wondering if there's any tips someone could give me to make it go smoothly. I thought of one way but I'm not sure if it will work : Considering that I'm a female and not all that strong, my husband, who is very strong, will be doing most of the labor. So my idea is to remove the old sink and place two by fours on the right and left side of the sink. Then place the sink on top the that. (I'm just trying to avoid smashing fingertips) Then have my husband go under the sink and press up to lift it about an inch or so and then I can just pull the boards out and he can ease it in. However, since I've never done this kind of stuff I don't know what will be the easiest way. So any tips on how to get this insanely heavy sink in would be appreciated.

Sarah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Sarah: What you suggest will work HOWEVER!!!!!! BE very sure the top can take the weight, that the opening will NOT allow that sink to fall thru if it slides to one side when husband tries to lift and you pull the 2x's out from under it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If he has a bottle jack, cheap to buy at walmart) that would be way safer.
get it into position and with the jack and a 2x cut to fit from jack to sink,everybody is out of the way and working from THE TOP. Work out the prepositioning so you can caulk under the sink as much as you can, then as you pull the 2x out u can caulk the end, lower it, jack other side and repeat.
BE CAREFUL and good luck
Jack

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Your installation plan sounds good. While it is up on the 2x4's run a bead of silicone or caulk around the edge of the hole. Then have your Hubby push up one end and remove the board and complete the silicone bead before he drops in down into the hole. Repeat with the other end. This way you will have a complete waterproof seal all the way around the sink edge.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

The best method for support is to pre-build a cradle using 2x4's. You can attach these to the sides with strong screws. It should also be supported, by installing "legs" under the horizontal cradle section's 4 corners. This transfers the weight load of the sink down to the floor.

If the sink is heavy now, imagine how heavy it will be full of dishes and water. This needs to be done right.

We just did this last week on a kitchen remodel. The sinks was a large soapstone one. We built the cradle-like frame, and installed such legs under all 4 corners of the "cradle", for additional support.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote