Tips On Handling Tub During Install? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Tips on handling tub during install?

I'll be installing a Sterling Vikrell tub shortly. I will be putting it in a mortar bed for support as well.

The alcove I'm putting it in is EXACTLY the size of the tub stud-to-stud, the bathroom is extremely small on top of that. I'm just trying to figure out the smartest way of lowering the unit in. Does anyone have any tips on this?

Advertisement

thebigsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

TBS,
Have you tried to test fit it just to make sure it goes in? If it fits so tight that you almost have to force it, I would shave about 1/8" off the studs on one end. You don't have to shave the whole stud, just the area where the tub lip sits and maybe 8-10" above the lip. It helps to have just a bit of wiggle room. It should not be a tight friction fit between the studs or you will have a tough time pushing it into the mortar bed to seat it and also level it.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Good advice Mike, what's the old saying: An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure? Or something like that. I've put a few tubs into some tight places, and some "wiggle" room sure sounds good. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
TBS,
Have you tried to test fit it just to make sure it goes in? If it fits so tight that you almost have to force it, I would shave about 1/8" off the studs on one end. You don't have to shave the whole stud, just the area where the tub lip sits and maybe 8-10" above the lip. It helps to have just a bit of wiggle room. It should not be a tight friction fit between the studs or you will have a tough time pushing it into the mortar bed to seat it and also level it.
Mike Hawkins
I appreciate that, it's good advice! I will do that if necessary (probably). Thanks!
thebigsee is offline   Reply With Quote