Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #1

Share |

Is it time to replace the toilet?

My partner and I just moved into our first home. Everything is good so far, except the toilet. When you flush the toilet the water in the bowl fills right up to the rim but does not go over. When the water (and waste) go down, it goes down very slow. There is also an odor around the toilet at times, but not under in the basement. I figure this could be fixed with a new wax ring. We are debating about whether to replace the wax ring for a few dollars, or the whole toilet for a couple hundred...Any thoughts? Is it time to replace?

Deahmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

first thing I would do is get a toilet snake and run it thru several times, I would also check the vent to be sure it is not clogged. However is this the ONLY fixture that runs slow? ALL sinks, tubs etc run great except for this one toilet? If NOT then I would have roto rooter do the main line before I start changing fixtures

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #3

Sounds like the toilet is clogged.Get a closet auger at your local home center to unclog toilet.
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #4

I will try to remove the clog and keep you updated. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #5

There is a trap inside the toilet . Most of the time the closet auger will either push through the blockage or catch on to the object so that you can pull it out. The last time I used one, I pulled out a wad of paper towels from a toilet.

Most of the time the auger works very well.Occasionally, objects become so wedged in the trap that the toilet needs to be removed and the object pulled out from beneath. When this happens ,you will need to use a new wax ring ,when re-installing the same toilet.
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
Whatamess

I would go ahead and pull the toilet and unstop it because you said there was an odor.This indicates a bad wax ring. Cut the water to the toilet off. Drain all the water out of the tank by lifting the flapper valve, dry with towels. Then take a small cup (to trash later) and dip all the water out of the bowl. This cuts down on the mess you make.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #7

one tidbit,,I 'like' to use a wet vac to suck all the water I can from bowl and tank,,,makes LESS mess when you carry it outside.

I had a rental house one time that the renters called,said the toilet didnt work. Augered and worked on it most of the day,,called a plumber,,,he took it outside and augered from bottom upside down,,,out popped the biggest bone left over from a roast you EVER saw. I dont know HOW it ever got around the corner THAT far,,,lady had a funny look on her face,,,"OH I guess I shouldnt have dumped it down there. ALL day job for a stupid bone!!! point being,,,MIGHT be surprised what is down there,,,may even be a bottle or can (OR toy)some little kid threw in!! I have seen stuff in sewers you would SWEAR couldnt get down there!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Go to Home Depot and get yourself a plunger (10 bucks or so) and a toilet auger (29.99).
Plunge it, and if that doesn't work get the toilet auger out. Bring the cable all the way out, put it in the toilet, and start turning the handle, pushing it in. You will probably have to be a little rough with it to get it around the trap. Pay attention to the directions on the auger, it can actually extend to about 8", most people don't realize that. If that doesn't work look for a clean out in your basement. Be careful removing it as you may get some (or a lot) of nasty water out of it. Try the toilet auger in there. If that still doesn't get it you could try pulling the bowl and auguring but it's really time to call a plumber at that point.

P.S. if your toilet is on a lead bend their is a chance you could damage it with the toilet auger. Their really isn't any way around that though, if it gets damaged you will have to replace it with PVC.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the help...the wax ring was bad and I lobbied and won. We have a new high efficiency low flow toilet!!! No more odor!!