Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

tile going out of basement.

There was an old stand pipe in my basement. OLd house, i think it was used for the washer at one time. It was a 4" tile but the stand pipe was a 2" steel pipe and elbow. They both rotted out and I get water coming into the basement. I broke the floor up so I could get a good look into the tile. It is separate pieces, about one foot long each. I am guessing they did this to make a turn shortly after exiting the basement. Was this a common practice to make a turn in the old days? I originally thought there was an old dry well but now believe it is just a leach field. I plan on digging about about ten feet and crushing and filling the pipe. Any reason not to do that? TIA

thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

tile going out of basement.

That could be part of a French drain system. The tile is in pieces so it can collect ground water; nowadays they use longer lengths of pipe with perforations or slits.

You should find out whether additional runs of tiles go all the way around the perimeter of the basement, either just inside or just outside the foundation. Meanwhile the best thing to do with the short section of tile you exposed is to dig a sump pump pit near that location and near the basement foundation wall. A washing machine drain should never have been put into a French drain system.