Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

Tie into existing 4" sewer line

Hello,

I will be installing a wet bar sink in basement and will be using an enclosed pump system to pump the water up to the existing 4" main sewer line. The inspector was out here the other day looking at my underground plumbing, so I asked him about tying into the 4" main line.

He had said that if I can not get the wye to fit in easily, to use a pvc slip coupling with a metal band around it, and then also a pvc no hub adapter which is glued onto the pipe. I emailed the inspector this link asking if this is what he was referring too: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-4-...8#.Ua1Ur9h27-5

And this was the inspectors reply: "That is the band, but you need a pvc no hub adaptor. It is a pvc fitting that gets glued on the pipe." Does anyone know what he is referring too?

Thanks,
Steve

svaic00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #2

http://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/pr...adapter-552125

Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is this the order in which the connection would go? See attached photo. Flow is from right to left.

Thanks,
steve
Attached Images
File Type: bmp pvc connection.bmp (42.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #4

I think what the inspector is telling you is you need 2 bands and 2 PVCxCI adapters - 1 for each end of the wye. You put short pieces of pipe in the wye to receive the adapters, then use the no hub bands to connect to the cast iron main
Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I think what the inspector is telling you is you need 2 bands and 2 PVCxCI adapters - 1 for each end of the wye. You put short pieces of pipe in the wye to receive the adapters, then use the no hub bands to connect to the cast iron main
Its not a cast Iron main, its pvc. So I was going to attach the wye to the existing pvc, and then use the adaptor hub/coupler downflow of the wye to make the connection.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #6

I have gone back and read and reread your inspectors reply and it doesn't make sense to me.
When I cut a wye into a line I either push the line a part enough to glue the hubs on or I glue on one hub and use a slip coupling on the other end. Or I use no hub couplings on both ends.
A PVC no hub adapter is used when converting cast iron pipe to plastic.
Hope that helps.
Javiles (06-03-2013), old_squid (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I have gone back and read and reread your inspectors reply and it doesn't make sense to me.
When I cut a wye into a line I either push the line a part enough to glue the hubs on or I glue on one hub and use a slip coupling on the other end. Or I use no hub couplings on both ends.
A PVC no hub adapter is used when converting cast iron pipe to plastic.
Hope that helps.
Update from talking with the inspector today and here is what he told me:

That if a rubber coupling with metal band is used (which would be the no hub coupler), then a pvc no hub adapter is required. The adapter would be glued onto the PVC and then the rubber coupling with metal band is what connects the adapter and other end of pvc line.

So what i get out of it is, is it would be the wye, then a section of 4" pvc, then the adapter, then the coupling, which would then attach to the 4" pvc, does that seem right?

He mentions this, because he said he thinks that just a regular slip coupler has a tendency to leak, and this route would be the better way to go.

Thanks,
Steve