Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #1

Share |

Ticking Hot Water Line

Have plastic water lines (assume the hot water is cpvc) that run from hot water tank on one side of house up through attic above garage across framing above entry (where there is no attic space) to attic space on the south side of the house where the kitchen is located.

When the kitchen faucet is turned on or the dishwasher is filling for the first cycle, the hot water pipe makes a rapid "tick tick tick" noise. When the faucet is turned off, the ticking slows down and goes away.

The plumber here yesterday thought it was because the pipe was not secured enough to the framing along its run. His efforts didn't work so now I have a hole in my entry ceiling and the same old ticking again. We could not hear it yesterday after the plumber did his thing because after the hot water runs through the pipe a while the ticking goes away especially when the rafter area gets hot (we live in Arizona).

Would appreciate any suggestions...piping still not secured enough, secured to tightly (I've heard it both ways)...or some other cause and possible solution?
HWPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Ticking Hot Water Line

When hot water passes through the pipes they expand, the tick sound is a pipe held too tight to a stud, as it expands it moves causing the pipes to make this tick sound, hard to locate, but once you find it, free it from this tight hold.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 PM   #3

Ticking Hot Water Line

Thanks for the help. Think I finally found all the pressure points along the pipe route.
HWPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #4

Ticking Hot Water Line

If you have a ticking noise when you run your hot water at the lavatory and decide to just leave it will it do any damage to your pipes? I live in Arizona.
bonniewilson2@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote