Thread Broke Off Inside Pipe... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

thread broke off inside pipe...

I was removing the old piping underneath bathroom sink when the (copper) threaded pipe that was attacted to the tail piece of the sink bowl going into the steel pipe into the floor broke off. This leaving the thread of one pipe inside the other making it impossible to set a new pipe inside of it. Any thoughts on how to get the rest of the old pipe out its about 1/2 inch into the pipe from floor and no way to grab it..to get it to spin out. I tried with hammer and various tools to tap it out and used spray lube to loosen it but not moving. Any ideas? Do not want to go into floor if all necessary.

Advertisement

68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

carefully take a close quarter hacksaw, cut thru the remnant of the old pipe in several places, being careful NOT to cut into the steel threads, with a cold chisel pop out a couple of pcs, then u should be able to tap the remainder with the chisel and crush it loose, pull old pipe out.

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
carefully take a close quarter hacksaw, cut thru the remnant of the old pipe in several places, being careful NOT to cut into the steel threads, with a cold chisel pop out a couple of pcs, then u should be able to tap the remainder with the chisel and crush it loose, pull old pipe out.

That's it with a lot of patience.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #4

a concern...do I stuff a rag down the pipe a bit so anything I should break off doesnt fall down inside the pipe?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

rag is not good. It will get in the way and quite possibly clog pipe if it falls inside. Best thing to use is white bread YES that is not a joke, cut the crust off make, smush it into a ball that fits inside the pipe and push it in far enuf to allow u to work, once you get the old pipe out, install all the new piping, and if possible flush the pipe b4 you make final connection. IF you cant then just make all the connections, if it is a faucet then remove strainer and run water, bread will DISSOLVE ONCE WATER HITS IT
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #6

Started this job a couple days ago and just got back to it today. Thanks for the info on my situation . I went in to begin again with all intention of having a fight on my hands trying to get this pipe out and wouldnt you know it, with spraying the lube last after trying to loosen the other day I stuck my finger in and it slipped right out no struggle of any kind. It pulled right out as if it was never stuck. I guess Ill save that energy to put in the new plug/drain and s trap. ANy tips before I get into this battle. Oh by the way the vanity cabinet is about 2X2 with the door opening 1X2 yeah try fittin in there and by no means am I small.

Advertisement