Thoughts On Mascerating Pump? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Rewards Points: 38

Thoughts on mascerating pump?

I am looking into finishing my basement, and I'd like to include a bathroom (3/4).

There's a half bathroom and laundry room just on the other side and a few steps above where I want to install the basement bathroom, and all of the plumbing is exposed and easily available. I thought that'd be a snap, but I talked to a plumber, and he said that a bathroom has to drain to a 3" drain, and the available plumbing is 2". And, the cost for finding and digging up a 3" line is rather high.

However, something I had looked into before, and something he recommended, is a mascerating pump. I think that it would work pretty nicely in this application, and my brother and I are pretty handy, so I think we could handle the installation of such a pump without hiring a plumber.

My only concern is that I've never used or owned a mascerating pump, and I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls with owning or using one. Do they make noise? Do they work well? What would a prospecive buyer think of one? And is there any great reason to bite the bullet and excavate the 3" line and install a standard restroom?

Thanks for your thoughts.

pattyobrien3 is offline   Reply With Quote