Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #1

Share |

is there a way to step down water pressure at a toilet?

Hi,

I have a couple of the Toto Aquia II dual flush toilets. One of them has several times started either hissing or making sort of a rubbery burping sound after the fill cycles is complete. I've gone a number of rounds with their tech folks about this and gone through a couple filler valve caps and even a whole new filler valve. They always make me go through the same simple steps to check for sediment in the valve stopper and the answer is always the same, none there, at all.

The last time this happened the guy hinted that my pressure might be a bit too high for the valve. To be honest, I think my pressure is just fine but their valve design isn't up to the task. That was about 2 months ago and now it's leaking again.

I've currently managed to stop the leak just by turning the quarter stop valve almost closed. I would just leave it like this but it's kind of loud when it fills, and the fill takes 5x too long. Also it's a tenant property so they could open it back up at any time and make me go back in there.

So I'm wondering if there is any sort of small pressure step down device I can install between the quarter stop and the tank? They're cool toilets and flush great but this problem is driving me nutty.

Thanks a bunch!

everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #2

Verify that the water pressure to the whole home is 60 psi or less. If greater than 60 psi, adjust the pressure regulator. If no pressure regulator on the incoming line to the home and pressure is greater than 60 psi, install one.

If pressure is 60 psi or less, the toilet should work properly without your having to take additional steps. FWIW, pressure to our home is set at 60 psi and our Toto Drake toilet has been working fine.

HRG

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Verify that the water pressure to the whole home is 60 psi or less. If greater than 60 psi, adjust the pressure regulator. If no pressure regulator on the incoming line to the home and pressure is greater than 60 psi, install one.
Is there a pressure gauge at the meter? That's the only thing visible between the street and the house. Here in TX for the most part mains just feed straight into the slab and pop out in the bath wall closest to the street, that's the way it is in both my units at least. In fact the only way to shut it off is to yank the manhole cover and close the city's valve.

Given this it would be pretty pricy to install a mains gauge. Honestly I don't believe it's over 50 let alone 60. I just think it's a poorly designed valve and isn't up to to the task.

The Drake is a wonderfully rated machine, and I believe has quite a different valve from the Aquia (which is dual flush). As sexy as these things are, they're like ferrari's. Fun to use but can be a handful to maintain. I'm really wishing I'd gone simple.

Thanks
everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Plumb or Die!

Put a gauge on a hose bibb. There won't be one at the meter.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #5

get one of these from a hardware store and screw it onto a hose bib to test water pressure.
Attached Images

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman View Post
Is there a pressure gauge at the meter? That's the only thing visible between the street and the house. Here in TX for the most part mains just feed straight into the slab and pop out in the bath wall closest to the street, that's the way it is in both my units at least. In fact the only way to shut it off is to yank the manhole cover and close the city's valve.
Plumber666 and TheEplumber explained how to check your water pressure.

Since you're in Texas and it probably doesn't freeze at your location, look at the hose bib closest to the street. The main line could be going there first to a pressure regulator outside of the house and then going under the slab to your bath wall where it pops back up. Also if the water heater is close to the street, the main line could be going there first so the pressure regulator might be there.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 09-21-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote