Is There A Standard Way To Hook Up Water Softener? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Is there a standard way to hook up water softener?

I will be moving my water softener and well tank soon.

Is there typical methods to connect these? Or there shut-off/by-pass valves I should run?

Advertisement

theedudenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

install whole house filter,much easier !

Advertisement

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

I don't get how a whole house filter is "easier"

I still need a softener
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

It's good to have shutoff valves on the inlet, outlet and another on a crossover so that the system can be isolated from the supply piping for service or if you have to change the unit out. I assume your softener has a bypass valve on it already but I like to be able to valve the system off so that I can remove it for service if necessary without messing with the rest of the piping.
NHMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #5

I actually found the manual for mine.
It just has standard 1" input and output on it.
No built in valve.

It has a diagram for the valves needed.
So I am just going to get 3 full port ball valves to have inline with my pex.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theedudenator View Post
I don't get how a whole house filter is "easier"

I still need a softener
in my experiance whole house filter stops majority of the nasty things in water at the filter and only requires service every 6 months to year.water softener on the other hand is just dumping large amounts of salt on top of the problem to disquise it and requires regular filling and maintenance or atleast checking and lugging bags of salt to fill it.not to mention the salt isnt good for ya and your appliances to begin with
Old 01-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I have installed a few softners (about 3000 ) and yes there is a standard way to install them. I assume you know the will start with the pressure tank then the main shut off for the house then a sediment filter ( recomended ) then the softner then the plumping continus to feed the rest of the house ( cold and hot water ) You could only treat the hot water but you would not get all the benifits of the softner then. As far as a whole house filter ( assuming you are taliing about a cartridge filter of some kind ) I am pretty sure that will not do the job of a softner unless something new came out yesterday that I dont know about. A softner has a specific filtering job . A three way BY-Pass would be a nice thing to have insalled with the softner I will not install a unit without some kind of bypass system its just not a good idea if there is a problem. Any questions just ask. Dont forget about the drain line you may need to find a new tap location if you are going to far from the original location .
arcticbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
Licensed Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
in my experiance whole house filter stops majority of the nasty things in water at the filter and only requires service every 6 months to year.water softener on the other hand is just dumping large amounts of salt on top of the problem to disquise it and requires regular filling and maintenance or atleast checking and lugging bags of salt to fill it.not to mention the salt isnt good for ya and your appliances to begin with

Wha Wha Wha What! Softeners don't "dump" salt on anything except the drain. They use salt to clean the resin. Resin removes minerals through ionic exchange. There is no salt in the drinking water and no salt in any of your appliances except the softener itself. Before making a post such as that it would do you well to do a little research on ion exchange water softeners because everything in your post is just plain wrong.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMaster View Post
Wha Wha Wha What! Softeners don't "dump" salt on anything except the drain. They use salt to clean the resin. Resin removes minerals through ionic exchange. There is no salt in the drinking water and no salt in any of your appliances except the softener itself. Before making a post such as that it would do you well to do a little research on ion exchange water softeners because everything in your post is just plain wrong.
everything is just wrong?thats funny because i have many customers in rural areas
that are much happier with their water since having the whole house filter installed.lets see the filter is installed at the point where water service enters house so at the minimum its removing lots of trash before it gets to the water softener which is making the softener work less.does that sound totally wrong to you?nh master wow that means a lot to me! should i bow?ive got a city of omaha ne master plumbers and grade 6 license,bellevue ne masters,fremont ne masters,cb iowa masters and working on lincoln ne master license also just waiting for plumbing board to approve me to test,a nebraska master septic installers license.3 differant refrigiration licenses and an electrical contractors license in nebraska iowa and south dakota.osha 20hr certification,trac pipe cert ......... licenses are just something you get to keep goverment workers on the job and to make guys with short dicks feel important.

Last edited by plummen; 01-24-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

oh yeah,almost forgot.whats those little things called sodium ions that water softener puts back in the water,is this a byproduct of salt?oh wait it couldnt be becuase you said theres no salt in the drinking water or any place except the softener!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
everything is just wrong?thats funny because i have many customers in rural areas
that are much happier with their water since having the whole house filter installed.lets see the filter is installed at the point where water service enters house so at the minimum its removing lots of trash before it gets to the water softener which is making the softener work less.does that sound totally wrong to you?nh master wow that means a lot to me! should i bow?ive got a city of omaha ne master plumbers and grade 6 license,bellevue ne masters,fremont ne masters,cb iowa masters and working on lincoln ne master license also just waiting for plumbing board to approve me to test,a nebraska master septic installers license.3 differant refigiration licenses and an electrical contractors license in nebraska iowa and south dakota.osha 20hr certification,trac pipe cert ......... licenses are just something you get to keep goverment workers on the job and to make guys with short dicks feel important.
I have a question. Why are the wells pumping anything but clean clear water???
user69544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

a lot of the areas i work around are on lakes and tend to have nasty tasting water.they put a new tower in louisville a few years back and water still sucks.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
a lot of the areas i work around are on lakes and tend to have nasty tasting water.they put a new tower in louisville a few years back and water still sucks.
OK, that is taste but, I have never heard of the need for filters like I have since I have been reading these forums. Our wells have to pump clean in Michigan.

We just drilled some wells for a city, that is clear.
user69544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
retired elect/hvac/plumb

even the city water in omahaisnasty in some places.theres still quite a few lead water services going into houses in north and south omaha and down in older parts of bellevue there is still old transite water mains (spell check! ) which is basically concrete/asbestos from what ive been told feeding residential areas,so i feel any kind of filtering you can do helps.im sure water softeners have their good points but in my simple way of thinking they are like dumping stp into the oil of your car to compensate for dirty oil,when changing the filter seems like a better idea to me anyway.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #15
Licensed Master Plumber

You apparently have no idea how a water softener works at all. If you did, you would not be saying the things you are saying. As for the "whole house" filter. If there is sediment or "stuff" as you say in the water, the well should be examined first because wells are not supposed to pump "stuff" A whole house filter may be needed to remove "stuff" though but they will not remove iron, or hardness. The amount of sodium they put into the water is roughly the same amount that is in a slice of white bread. Do some reading bunky and then get back to us. Until then you are posting misleading and just plain wrong advice.

Advertisement