Is There Something Wrong With My Sump Well? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Is there something wrong with my sump well?


The sump well in my basement has two pipes coming into it. one is a 4" (maybe 5") PVC, which I believe is typical of a drain tile system. The other is a similarly sized piece of black flexible pipe (but very thick / sturdy stuff). The oddity is that water comes in through the PVC pipe, but I don't believe any ever comes through the black flexible pipe/tubing.

Question - what is the purpose of this black pipe? At first I would have assumed it was another drain tile. If so, why would it not be PVC like the other? I also have lived here about 2.5 years and haven't had any problems with basement drainage.

Thanks,
Jeff

Advertisement

affeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Is there something wrong with my sump well?


It's really hard to determine what they do. How old is the house? The could have flexible on one side of the footings and PVC on the other. Once could be condensation from your A/C draining into the PVC, etc.

I have perforated, corregated pipe around my basement. The slab is not yet poured so when the rain from Gustav came through, I got to see how it functioned. One pipe was a bit lower than the other so water pretty much flowed through the lower pipe only...That is until it filled up with 6" of rainwater in about 2 hours. Good thing I had a powerful pump on site.

If it's not causing any problems, I wouldn't worry about if myself. If you were having water problems, you could have a camera snake fed through to see where they go.

Advertisement

KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Is there something wrong with my sump well?


The house is 30 years old. I'm not entirely sure where the blower on the AC drains...I need to check that. There is a floor drain for the hot water heater though. I suppose its possible the flexible pipe is coming from that drain, but only if its connecting to something else as well. I say this because the drain is only about 5 feet away, and the mystery pipe comes into the opposite side of the well. Meaning, it would have to wind around the well for some reason if that was it. Anyway, when it stops pouring rain like mad. I'll have to test that one.

Right now its been raining buckets for a good 12 hours, and the pump is doing all it can to keep up. I think it might trigger too early in fact...I need to look into the optimal height and see how much I can adjust it.

Thanks
affeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Is there something wrong with my sump well?


Quote:
Originally Posted by affeking View Post
The sump well in my basement has two pipes coming into it. one is a 4" (maybe 5") PVC, which I believe is typical of a drain tile system. The other is a similarly sized piece of black flexible pipe (but very thick / sturdy stuff). The oddity is that water comes in through the PVC pipe, but I don't believe any ever comes through the black flexible pipe/tubing.

Question - what is the purpose of this black pipe? At first I would have assumed it was another drain tile. If so, why would it not be PVC like the other? I also have lived here about 2.5 years and haven't had any problems with basement drainage.

Thanks,
Jeff
My guess would be that the corrugated piping is from the french drain under your slab, and the PVC piping may be from the drain on the bottom of your walkup basement (assuming you have one), and/or the drain from the condensation pipe coming from your AC system.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Is there something wrong with my sump well?


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
My guess would be that the corrugated piping is from the french drain under your slab, and the PVC piping may be from the drain on the bottom of your walkup basement (assuming you have one), and/or the drain from the condensation pipe coming from your AC system.
I have a full basement that is not of the walk-out variety. I'm not sure if I"m just using different terminology than you or what. And its the PVC that's really letting out water - the currugated pipe is pretty much dry. To me, it would make sense that the currugated is coming from possibly the AC and/or something else not impacted by rainfall. Is that what you are thinking? I might need more expaination because I'm not sure what you meant when you differentiated between the slab and the walkup basement drainage.

Thanks
affeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Is there something wrong with my sump well?


Quote:
Originally Posted by affeking View Post
I have a full basement that is not of the walk-out variety. I'm not sure if I"m just using different terminology than you or what. And its the PVC that's really letting out water - the currugated pipe is pretty much dry. To me, it would make sense that the currugated is coming from possibly the AC and/or something else not impacted by rainfall. Is that what you are thinking? I might need more expaination because I'm not sure what you meant when you differentiated between the slab and the walkup basement drainage.

Thanks
Since you have a walkout, that PVC pipe may be from the condensation released by your AC.

The slab is your basement floor. The walkup basement drainage is what you would have if you had a walkup basement. The bottom of those stairs would have a drain that routes water to your sump.

Since you have a walk out basement, then the water is most likely coming from your AC system especially if it's not raining outside.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sump drain


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sump pump drainage problem sk8z Plumbing 6 11-29-2008 11:09 PM
Sump pit filling with water in dry weather dimitar Building & Construction 13 12-19-2007 12:59 PM
Sump Pump Concept Questions dshuster Plumbing 1 11-22-2007 09:47 PM
Question about sump pumps and check valves lennyseleven Plumbing 3 11-08-2007 11:33 AM
looking to upgrade sump pump coeng Plumbing 14 06-04-2007 04:08 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts