Is There A Simple Solution For Leak In Fitting? See Pics/Model - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Is there a simple Solution for leak in fitting? See Pics/Model

Hello,

Just checking here on the boards to see if there is a simple solution for a small leak on a sink drain in our bathroom. It appears there is a small leak (not really a leak, but more a drop) of water that is coming from the soldered joint form the elbow to the male coupling protruding from the wall (See image). Can I try and re-solder the fitting or add a putty to fill the gap? If so, any product recommendations?

We did remove a section of the plaster during our remodel to put a new fitting on, but the copper drain pipe in the wall is sandwiched against the plaster on the bedroom side (see model). I didn’t think I would be able to add a rubber coupling over the pipe- let alone cut the thing. The stud has the copper pipe pinned with no wiggle room.

Also, once this gets fixed, our new vanity is too high for the drain pipe and came up with a revised p-trap (see picture). The bottom of the trap is about a ˝” below the drain. Any thoughts on this becoming a fail?

Thank you for your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a simple Solution for leak in fitting? See Pics/Model-img_1507.jpg   Is there a simple Solution for leak in fitting? See Pics/Model-untitled.jpg   Is there a simple Solution for leak in fitting? See Pics/Model-img_1508.jpg  

Advertisement

posdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,912

Re: Is there a simple Solution for leak in fitting? See Pics/Model

I don't understand your post.

I see a galvanized iron pipe sticking out of the wall with a compression nut connecting what is probably a trap arm. Is that where the leak is?

I don't see any copper.

I don't understand what you are trying to do with that combination of traps.

If the wall stub out is to low for trap you simply put an extension on the tail pipe of the sink and lower the trap.

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #3

I do apologize for any confusion.

The pipe in the wall is copper, you are correct the stub out is a galvanized fitting. The leak (drops) is the dark spot adjacent to the wall. Again, just wondering if this type of leak can be patched or do I need to open up the wall and replace the whole stub out. My concern in doing that is connecting to the copper pipe in the wall since it is pinned again st the plaster...

As for the pipe apparatus, the new vanity "shelf" is too tall for the current height of the stub out. So I was thinking to modify the trap so everything sits above the lower shelf so I don't have to hack away at it and make a hole for the trap.

Hope that clarifies my post!

Old 12-22-2016, 11:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,912

Quote:
So I was thinking to modify the trap so everything sits above the lower shelf so I don't have to hack away at it and make a hole for the trap.
Can't do that. A drain can't turn down before it reaches a vent.

If the leak is where the galvanize screws into the copper, remove that galvanized. Put a threaded adapter on a piece of PVC and screw it into the copper.
If the leak is at a soldered joint nothing you can do but resolder. It can be done.

If you have copper drain pipes you must live on the rich side of town.

Last edited by hkstroud; 12-22-2016 at 11:42 PM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 278

If the leak is where that dark spot is in the first picture as you have pointed out, your leak looks like it's in the wall cavity part. So you will have to go inside the wall cavity to fix it. Just an opinion. As for the trap issue, hk has some great advice.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 278

I know it's not what you want to hear, but by the looks of the staining on the wall, it's been leaking for awhile.

You may have to open the wall and replace or tightened the stub out to fix the issue or live with it which is not a good idea because in will eventually create mold.

Just putting caulk or silicon as a patch around it is not going to do anything for the leak. it will still leak and create moisture/mold inside the wall cavity part which you can't see. Just my own personal opinion. I could be looking at the picture wrong. Lol.

Please wait for some more plumbers to respond with advice/suggestions for you. Thank you.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 770

Open the wall and replace that with PVC. Is the vent stack hub cast iron or PVC?
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,950

Not to mention your plastic trap amounts to an S type trap and is not legal. Open the wall a bit .
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #9

Thank you for the advice. This is an older home and the existing lines are all copper.

Correct, the leak is forming at the soldered joint and not the screw nut.

We just remodeled the bathroom and opened the wall to verify the joints were good- because we thought there may be a leak, but everything was dry and looked dry so we covered everything back up.

It seems after brushing the stub out and cleaning everything up, we removed some corroded parts to form the leak, because it was not leaking before- otherwise we would have replaced it when the wall was open.

Based on the advice, I am thinking of opening the wall again, replace the stub out with PVC (using a rubber coupling to connect to existing copper line), and add an elbow in the wall to raise the stub out so the P-trap will fit in the new vanity so that I won't half to cut the bottom shelf in half, and finally do the same 90 in the wall with the supply lines...

Sounds like extra work, but this is what makes to me? Thoughts?

Thank you again for the replies!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,950

Open the wall post a picture and do nothing else. You cannot go up with a 90 and place your vent connection below its trap. Just post a picture and help will be forthcoming.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #11

Got it. Attached is the wall opened up. The plan is to cut the vent pipe and raise the drain up 6” or so to be high enough for the new vanity. Then raise the water lines as well.

Also, I see why there was no room to move the drain line. Another vent pipe has it pinned against the drywall?

Thank you again for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a simple Solution for leak in fitting? See Pics/Model-img_1523.jpg  

Advertisement

Tags
copper , fitting , sink drain leak