Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #1

Share |

Is there a rule with regards to how far apart branches should be on gas?

Main line is 1 inch with 2 3/4 branches feeding kitchen and furnace.

Need to add additional 1 inch branch for H20 heater ...

Is there a minimum distance from other branches that is typically used? Or could it conceivably drop a T in right next to another one?

I am asking not to do it myself but to be able to plan and prepare where the drywall, etc. will need to be modified for the run ...

THanks for any info.
beachfront71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
DIY'r

I've seen plumbers fit manifolds for gas distribution out of standard Ts and steel pipe, and the fittings are right next to each other, so I don't see why not.

However, depending upon how it's piped now and the clearances involved, your plumber may find it unfeasible to locate a T in the optimal place. (I'm assuming you've got steel pipe in your area.. If you have copper then it should be much easier).

It will also depend on your local codes, which could conceivably interfere with your plans.

What kind of HWH are you installing that you need a 1" supply? (Just curious).
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

You can place them side by side BUT whenever you go off a main 1" line the branch lines have to be taken off the side or top of that line. Last unit on the line can go off the bottom. Depending on the layout this may be a problem. Make sure the plumber adds the total of the furnace/range/clothes dryer/tankless water heater all together to see if a 1" line can deliver enough gas. He can look it up in the code book.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Its a Noritz 751 ..
1 inch line runs about 40 ft from meter to under house ..then a 3/4 heads to the water heater (another 10 ft) then continues another 20 ft to a 65btu furnace.

the one inch continues to another 3/4 that runs to a thermador range

I got a bunch of flack on here about people thinking i was trying to do this job myself and go hire a plumber to do it .. I have had 3 plumbers come out and all 3 have told me the 3/4 inch will pull enough for the 200k btu and the furnace on the same line ...

I am under the impression it will not ... and will need a dedicated 1" branch to feed it and leave the existing 3/4 for the furnace ...
beachfront71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

I would call Noritz and see what they require. We install Naviens and run a 1" to them. Not all brands are the same or fire up the same as a simple furnace and only the manufacturer can tell you EXACTLY what they want. Also depends on the AGA gas code in the US and CGA in Canada so you may want to contact your local gas co and ask them who makes rulings on jobs. Where I am it is the Dept of Labour/Mechanical and Engineering Dept. They can be VERY finicky and where I am they will read the install manual and shut you down if it is not installed exactly like laid out in the manual. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one but the inspectors use the install manual as gospel. The unit may not fire up or burn properly so I would want a ruling from Noritz.

Last edited by yuri; 05-13-2011 at 04:34 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote