Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is there an easy way to fix this? Pics included

So I bit off more then I could chew in redoing a bathroom. The bulk of it is finished but its the details that are killing me. Basically, The tubspout that was sticking out of the drywall was about an inch too short after I redid everything. I bought one of those slip on tub spout kits from walmart, cut the pipe thinking it would work, and when I put the brass nut on and tightened the set screw, I must have tightened it too hard and crushed the pipe a little. I bought the stuff to sweat a new extension piece with the male adaptor so I could just screw a spout on, but I cant sweat it since it is so close to the cheap fiberflass tub surround. I had put aluminum foil layers over it to try and protect it, but it still started to melt. The tub spout will cover the melted piece, but not I'm at a loss. Anyone have some suggestions?[IMG][/IMG]

malt0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

the only saving grace thing there is it is a spout where the water isn't really pressure like a cold/hot water control.does the Walmart thing still slip on and tighten down?did it have a rubber ring inside the spout so when you slipped it on it was tight then you locked it down?doing an adapter swetting it on that fitting will have the spout out to far from the wall..take a 12" piece of sand paper and buff that copper nipple coming out all the way around.take an ajustable wrench and set it so it goes 360 degrees around the good end of that pipe...then slide it down to the set screw area and slowly turn it 360 around that will round it back a bit....i'm trying to keep you from soldering.how did the spout slip and screw down first off.. and now you want to thread it on to a swet adapter..... here is a YOUTUBE on both types... try the adjustable wrench trick to round it back into shape...couple wraps of teflon over where the set screww hits you good to go

Last edited by biggles; 07-21-2012 at 10:32 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,230

access it from the back install new copper pipe to proper length....my have to cut access????
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
access it from the back install new copper pipe to proper length....my have to cut access????
if i access it from the back, what do I do with the 90? Can I heat it up enough to pull the stem out, then resolder a new piece in? or should i cut it off above and put in a new 90? how can i do that without soldering?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
the only saving grace thing there is it is a spout where the water isn't really pressure like a cold/hot water control.does the Walmart thing still slip on and tighten down?did it have a rubber ring inside the spout so when you slipped it on it was tight then you locked it down?doing an adapter swetting it on that fitting will have the spout out to far from the wall..take a 12" piece of sand paper and buff that copper nipple coming out all the way around.take an ajustable wrench and set it so it goes 360 degrees around the good end of that pipe...then slide it down to the set screw area and slowly turn it 360 around that will round it back a bit....i'm trying to keep you from soldering.how did the spout slip and screw down first off.. and now you want to thread it on to a swet adapter..... here is a YOUTUBE on both types... try the adjustable wrench trick to round it back into shape...couple wraps of teflon over where the set screww hits you good to go
I tried the wrench trick, but when I put my thumb over the hole and turned the water on, i found a pinhole leak.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

putting you thumb over the spigot opening isn't a normal situation there the water is comng down from the hot/cold.it has hardly any pressure so the pinhole will not leak with a couple of teflon wraps and the lockdown screw on it...couple of drops of super glue,nail polish to seal the pin hole.the wrench trick was to round up the pipe back in shape...NEXT small tube of "LEAK LOCK" paint that pipe coat the inside of the spigot and slide it on then lightly lock that screw down....the LL will cure ans seal the pipe inside the spigot...and still can be removed in the future....

Last edited by biggles; 07-22-2012 at 08:27 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 520

cut the 90 off then use a shark bite 90 and a new piece of copper just make sure you cut copper at correct spot so it will go into the hole in wall
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
cut the 90 off then use a shark bite 90 and a new piece of copper just make sure you cut copper at correct spot so it will go into the hole in wall
excellent...this seems easy enough. if i cut just above the 90 and install the sharkbite 90 is it going to be in the same position as the original 90?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #9

not sure if you have the room you could maybe use a shark bite coupling with a new copper 90 soldier on to pipe to fit hole and tub spout
Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #10

Quote:
not sure if you have the room you could maybe use a shark bite coupling with a new copper 90 soldier on to pipe to fit hole and tub spout
i cut the banged up pipe as close to the wall as i could and put a sharkbite coupling on. The coupling still leaked (meaning I didnt cut all the deformed pipe off), and also when I went to screw the spout on the coupling just spun along with the spout. I have a 90 sharkbite im going to install tomorrow and see if that will work.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

That's why you use one of these for your tub spout and not a sweat 90

http://cloudfront.zorotools.com/prod...5P153_AS01.JPG
VIPlumber (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #12

Quote:
the sharkbite 90 really did the trick. i cut off just above the old 90, popped the new one on and it lined up exactly where the old one did.
The Following User Says Thank You to malt0se For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #13

we like to hear how it worked out for you