Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |
Question

testing an old radiator for leaks

i just bought an old radiator from a vintage store and would like to test it before i send it to paint stripping.

the inflow female threaded opening is 1". i heard that this can be done with a regular hose and an adapter that goes between the hose and the opening. does anyone know what that adapter is called ? i understand that the adapter may require the 1" opening to be reduced with a bushing to 3/4 or 1/2.

P.S.: was $125 too much to pay for it, it is a small 4 section radiator, 30+" tall, will go in the bathroom ? add to that $110 for refurbishing.

thx,

- a -

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Be sure the opening is 1", pipe sizes are measured by inside diameter outside Diameters are about 3/16" larger. I would use a 1" male by 1/2" female bushing into the radiator opening and screw a 1/2" boiler drain (hose bib) with a 3/4"' female double hose connector. This way you can pressurize the rad. and turn the boiler drain off locking the pressure in. Also at the top of the radiator there should be a 1/8" openining to bleed the air out when filling. A steam radiator bleeder is located at the mid section of the rad. if your using it on a hot water system you will need openings on both sides and if there is a plug to be removed "good luck"
I don't know about the price of a used rad.

plumcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

are there special radiators for steam vs. hot water or are they interchangeable ?
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Yes there are steam and water rads. Steam are much larger and usually very ornamental. You can use water rads in a steam system, I have em in my house. I would NOT do the reverse. Steam rads are much larger to allow steam to expand and would take way more water than your boiler may hold.

Plumcass: re read ur post interesting that you mentioned steam rads used in hydronic system.Are they the type I mentioned, big ole, scrolly,georgeous CI critters?

Last edited by skymaster; 10-31-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added post
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #5

I tried to find the answer to your question. I never heard there was any difference between steam vs hot water rads. other than the older style is what you described.The newer were designed with slimer tubes, Both are rated for steam and hot water.
plumcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #6

I plug the ends and put in a special pipe I made that has a gage on it and a tire valve. I use a bicycle pump to pump it up and watch the pressure gage over a period of 24 hours. If the pressure stays in there then the radiator is good.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Custom Cabinet Maker

http://www.charlesandhudson.com/arch...n-radiator.jpg This is what I was talking about :}:}:}
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #8

Some fire extinguisher companies can pressure test for you. Or follow Marvin garden's advice.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcass View Post
I tried to find the answer to your question. I never heard there was any difference between steam vs hot water rads. other than the older style is what you described.The newer were designed with slimer tubes, Both are rated for steam and hot water.
Steam radiator sections are connected to each other along the bottom only. Steam and condensation run through the same pipe so Steam radiators will have only one pipe connection.

You can NOT use Steam radiators on a Hot Water system.

Hot Water radiator sections are connected to each other along BOTH the bottom and the top. Hot water systems have both a hot water feed and a cold water return pipe. Depending on the valve block style, the radiator may have both pipes connected to one valve or one pipe connected to the valve and the other pipe to the opposite side of the unit.

You can use Hot Water Radiators in a Steam system.

sparky672 is offline   Reply With Quote