Testing Drain Waste Vent - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Testing Drain Waste Vent

We are installing a PVC drain waste vent system in our new home. Our state's building code requires that we water test the system with a minimum of 3' of head above the highest fitting. Please review our plan for testing this and let me know if there are any errors in my method.

After installing all the pipes (drain and vent) we'll cap all the exposed ends except for the vent pipe where it exists the roof. We have a clean-out, on the outside of the house (which is created by the installation of a 4"x4"x4" combo wye in the line). We plan to insert an inflatable test balloon into the line, via this cleanout. Now, we haven't purchased this test balloon but I was thinking about this one: http://webstore.petersenresources.co...emCode=130004M.

I assume that one can fill this balloon once it's in place via an air hose. My question is about deflating the balloon when the test is done in order to release the water so that it can flow on down the line to the septic tank. Since I've never used or seen one of these test balloons, I'd appreciate any advice that can be offered here. The instructions with the balloon say to release the back pressure before deflating it, but I don't see any way to do that.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Advertisement

techinstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Testing Drain Waste Vent

That plug is made to be inserted into an open pipe, not a cleanout. This one is made for a buried cleanout http://webstore.petersenresources.co...Code=130008MSM and you screw extension hoses into it to bring the air line to the surface for the compressor. You can probably find it cheaper than that elsewhere, maybe find one to borrow/rent, or just dig up the cleanout you want to test from and use the one you were thinking about.

Advertisement

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote