Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

Share |

TERRIBLE Banging water pipes in bathroom

Hello all! I need help!! My family and I have moved into a two storey home with 3 bathrooms. We have no issues with my main floor bathroom. My problem is with my two upstairs bathrooms - my second floor main bathroom and my second floor ensuite bathroom. The second floor main bathroom has a tub and shower. The ensuite has a shower only. Whenever the water in the tub or shower is midway between hot and cold, the pipes bang so badly it sounds like thunder throughout the entire house and my kids are totally freaked out. It doesn't happen when the faucets are turned fully hot or fully cold, it is only when the faucet is in between. This problem only occurs with the tub or shower not the sinks or toilets. Are there any fixes we can do or is this a job for someone with experience. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Angela26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #2

TERRIBLE Banging water pipes in bathroom

Get everyone's opinion where in the wall the banging is most promiment. Take a nail and a hammer and look for the solid wood behind the drywall,and when you hit solid wood, you should be able to hit more wood 16 inches away.Take a piece of card board 6 inches tall and 16 inches wide, if that where you hit more wood, and pencil around the cardboard. Then take a utility knife and cut it out, saving the piece to put back. Look for pipes that are moveable, maybe hold on to them with gloves, and tell someone to turn on the water. Next step is buy some pipe straps and a piece of cut lumber.

bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote