Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Terralifting

Can someone tell me if $3900 is too much to pay for terralifting? I have seen prices of $1500-2000 but the company in my area that does it charges $3900.

pastorjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,090

Terralifting

Make some more calls and get more quotes is the only way to know.
Not going to get anything here but a bunch of guesses from people that could be any place on the planet and have never seen the job.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,242

Terralifting

Please read-
"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,162

Terralifting

Pastor please contact your local health department and talk to the septic folks...
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 586

Terralifting

Ok i give up whats Terralifting ??? drain field maybe ??

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

Terralifting

Javilles, go check it out on U-Tube. Looks like mumbo jumbo to me, but who knows, maybe it works. It is basically back flushing the leach field and disrupting the soil, I just don't know how the field doesn't just clog up again in short order.

Pastor Joe, I found the following which may help. This guy sounds like he knows his stuff. My opinion is that once a leach field goes bad, its bad. If you look at the leach field as a filter that is totally clogged up, how can shaking things around unclog it? It will work for a while, then the sludge will fill in the openings and you are right back where you started, but your wallet is 3900 beans lighter.

"A fellow named Ernie had a similar problem and asked a similar question in the distant past. This was my reply to his inquiry. My opinion of the Terralift process has not changed.

Ernie, the concept of the Terralift process is to inject a high pressure air stream and plastic pellets through the clogging mat that has formed in the soil beneath and around the failed leach field. The plastic pellets will keep the flow paths open to allow the septic tank effluent to be introduced into the freshly opened soil surfaces. The effectiveness of the process is, at best, a temporary fix for a failed leach field.

It is incorrect to say that the Terralift process is not effective in rejuvenating soil absorption systems. It is correct to assume that the process will have to be repeated when the system fails again in the future. The period of time that the Terralift process provides for extending the functional service life of the leach field depends upon a number of variables. These variables include:

1. the percolation rate of the soil below and around the gravel in the leach field
2. the area of the leach field
3. the quality and quantity of septic tank effluent being applied
4. the proficiency of the Terralift contractor
5. the density of the Terralift injection points
6. and several other factors which, at the moment, escape my mind.

The approach that I recommend for extending the service life, on a long term basis, of a soil absorption system is to provide an alternate leach field and practice alternation of septic tank effluent flow between the two leach fields on an annual basis. Monitoring and ventilation ports must be installed in each field.

It is important to periodically remove the sludge from the septic tank. The accumulation of sludge effectively reduces the hydraulic detention time of the sewage in the tank. A deep sludge layer will increase the velocity of the sewage through the tank. The microbes in the tank will then have less time to digest the organic matter in the sewage. The undigested organic matter will then flow to the leach field, which causes organic overloading of the leach field and causes a rapid increase in the thickness of the clogging mat.

I also recommend the installation of a septic tank effluent filter in the outlet tee of the septic tank. The filter will trap a significant volume of suspended solid material in the effluent, thereby improving the quality of the effluent being applied to the leach field. There are many quality filters on the market. I use the SIM/TECH disposable filter.

[www.gag-simtech.com]

As you can see, it is important to modify your septic tank to allow for easy access to provide the required maintenance. I recommend that 20-inch diameter Tuf-Tite risers be installed on both the inlet end and outlet end access ports of the septic tank. The risers should be installed such that the lids are at the ground surface. The Tuf-Tite risers are covered with gasketed lids, which are secured by 10 stainless steel screws.

[www.tuf-tite.com]

So Ernie, if you require just a temporary fix for your failed leach field, the most cost effective approach is the Terralift process, but understand that you may be paying for another application of the process in the very near future. I recommend that you perform the alternative approach that I have suggested.

Last edited by jagans; 03-26-2013 at 10:04 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,242

Terralifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Ok i give up whats Terralifting ??? drain field maybe ??
What? Huh?
Where have you been?
I didn't know what it was until about 5yrs. ago. We would use it when there was no alternative. Prices always varied too
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Master Plumber

Terralifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
What? Huh?
Where have you been?
I didn't know what it was until about 5yrs. ago. We would use it when there was no alternative. Prices always varied too

Man where in Miami last on the totem on pole, down here its called drain field rejuvenation, we have done a few with good results, to date. most of the time the field just need to be replaced.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

Terralifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post

Man where in Miami last on the totem on pole, down here its called drain field rejuvenation, we have done a few with good results, to date. most of the time the field just need to be replaced.
Your second sentence contradicts your first. So this is a temporary fix that rarely lasts very long? To me its like a roof drain wherein debris has collected around the strainer and you remove the stuff and throw it back away from the drain. Along comes the rain and the stuff collects around the drain again.

If you don't actually get rid of the sludge, how can this work for any length of time?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Master Plumber

Terralifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Your second sentence contradicts your first. So this is a temporary fix that rarely lasts very long? To me its like a roof drain wherein debris has collected around the strainer and you remove the stuff and throw it back away from the drain. Along comes the rain and the stuff collects around the drain again.

If you don't actually get rid of the sludge, how can this work for any length of time?
No contradiction at all not all drain field failures are for the same reason, sometimes you can kick start them up again, some you can not, i would explain the differences but if you didn't understand my last post i doubt you'll understand the explanations.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Master Plumber

Terralifting

By the way what happened to pastorjoey?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,162

Terralifting

My septic folks with the health department said to relocate the leech field if the soils perks ok...

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote