Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |

Tenants put up a fence

They used 6' chunks of 1/2" rebar for the posts. Now the drain is suddenly clogged.

I wonder WTF happened?

I already cleared it for them once at 8 o'clock at night. I lived there for 6 years with no problems. I'm on the verge of throwing in the landlord towel.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #2

Tenants put up a fence

Have you tryed to snake the line out or dig it up to see if they hit it?
Why in the world would they have used rebar in the first place?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Owner

Tenants put up a fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
They used 6' chunks of 1/2" rebar for the posts. Now the drain is suddenly clogged.

I wonder WTF happened?

I already cleared it for them once at 8 o'clock at night. I lived there for 6 years with no problems. I'm on the verge of throwing in the landlord towel.
Speculation, but it sounds like the rebar was driven through the sewer line. I've seen it before. Get a camera down the line before you snake it. If you hit the rebar with a high power snake, you might get twisted up in the cable, break an arm, or worse.
(208) 818-8241

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Tenants put up a fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why in the world would they have used rebar in the first place?
Because he wanted to put up a cedar fence, and when I asked who would be paying for it, he replied "Well I would pay for it, but then you would reimburse me for it."

GAHAHAHAH Sorry, it's your dog, not mine.

Guess I should have let him put up the cedar fence?

I have already snaked it, and i'm fairly certain the cable went outside of the house before I hit the clog. I was able to break it up and get it flowing freely, but now it's clogged again. It's raining today and i've got some guys working on my garage door. I don't feel like / cant go dig up the yard today. Property manager is going to have to fix it this time.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #5

Tenants put up a fence

Quote:
While the drain is clogged and full of water, try using Dowsing L-rods to locate the drain without digging. You might be able to verify whether a rebar is going through the drain using this technique.

Dowsing L-rods are held in the hands and point straight ahead. Walk slowly and the rods will either open up or cross when you go over the drain. Here's two youtube videos to illustrate:

Demo of Dowsing rods in use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeRCcFB66fU

How to make dowsing rods:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R6mo...eature=related

In the second video on how to make Dowsing L-Rods, ignore the flaky part at the end where the gal makes the rods say yes or no. But the technique on how to make the L-rods is very well illustrated.

The L-rods will open up or cross when you are directly over the water filled drain. Sounds like a bunch of crock right? Believe me this actually works.

About 40 years ago, my father wanted to repair a sewer drain from his house that was periodically clogging. He knew how far the clog was from the house from snaking the clog many times. My brothers and I helped him dig where he thought the drain was and we dug down to China without finding the drain. Then I told him I might be able to find the drain using L-Rods. He and my two brothers just poo-pooed me. I got two brass brazing rods from the house and bent them to L-rods. Just held them in my hands and the rods went outward on the opposite side of the driveway. Tried several times and located where I thought the drain was. We dug down about 6 or 7 feet and found the drain right where the L-rods indicated it would be. The poo-pooers were in shock.

To prove it to yourself first, lay a water hose with a trigger handle at the end on the ground. Fill the hose with water. Now try the L-rods technique and the rods will open/cross right over the water hose.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Tenants put up a fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
While the drain is clogged and full of water, try using Dowsing L-rods to locate the drain without digging. You might be able to verify whether a rebar is going through the drain using this technique.

Dowsing L-rods are held in the hands and point straight ahead. Walk slowly and the rods will either open up or cross when you go over the drain....
When we lived in Texas we tried this. DH said he could really feel the pull, and he is normally a very skeptical person regarding this type of stuff.
It didn't work for me at all.
Apparently it doesn't work for everybody. Ya gotta have the touch.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #7

Tenants put up a fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
When we lived in Texas we tried this. DH said he could really feel the pull, and he is normally a very skeptical person regarding this type of stuff.
Did you try it with the rods directly in your hands or with them in tubing (pen barrels in the video)? I've tried it both ways and rods in tubing is noticeably more sensitive than holding the rods directly in the hands. Can also use plastic straws for the tubing if pen barrels are not handy.

The L-rods are so sensitive that they point outward left and right when directly over the pipe and actually go backwards when I continue walking forward slowly. Backing up they return to left & right over the pipe and back to straight ahead when I continue walking backwards. The whole thing is unreal.

PS: I like the horizontal part of the rods to be fairly long. I would use two coat hangers to make the rods instead of cutting one coat hanger in half.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 03-20-2012 at 07:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
plummen (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #8

Tenants put up a fence

here is another one measuring how deep to drill well for water with a glass 3/4 full a quarter and kite string. i have seen this done on wells we knew the depth of and it was within 4 feet and seen it done on 2 wells before drilling and same results
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Tenants put up a fence

Quote:
Because he wanted to put up a cedar fence, and when I asked who would be paying for it, he replied "Well I would pay for it, but then you would reimburse me for it."

GAHAHAHAH Sorry, it's your dog, not mine.

Guess I should have let him put up the cedar fence?

I have already snaked it, and i'm fairly certain the cable went outside of the house before I hit the clog. I was able to break it up and get it flowing freely, but now it's clogged again. It's raining today and i've got some guys working on my garage door. I don't feel like / cant go dig up the yard today. Property manager is going to have to fix it this time.
Ayuh,.... Do ya know the whereabouts, 'n direction the lateral runs,..??

If so,...
It shouldn't be too hard to eyeball it, 'n know Exactly which post to dig under....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #10

Tenants put up a fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
here is another one measuring how deep to drill well for water with a glass 3/4 full a quarter and kite string. i have seen this done on wells we knew the depth of and it was within 4 feet and seen it done on 2 wells before drilling and same results
How is that done?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #11

Tenants put up a fence

i will ask the guy at our church all the specifics and post it
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Tenants put up a fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Dont grip the pieces of wire so tight,i use 2 pieces of bent wire and can usually get within about 1' of the trench.

Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Doing it myself

Tenants put up a fence

Update :

Told the property manager to send a camera down there so that I know where the problem is and how to fix it. He sent a plumber there with a snake instead to unclog the drain.

Called him back and told him I have already done that and can do so again, I need a camera down the drain.

Finally got roto-rooter to camera the line and the results : "Possible damaged line"

Seriously? That's all I get? Somebody aint getting paid.

Went over last night in the dark with my shovel and discovered the pipe coming from beneath the garage slab is orangeburg. Put in a 2 way cleanout to attach to later. I do find it odd however that we never had a problem with it 6 months ago, and now all of a sudden it's completely blocked. . . . . I bet i'll find a tampon or 12 in there.

Got my weekend project all lined out now.

Adventures in landlord-ship.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Tenants put up a fence

I had a feeling that it would end up being a coincidence.

Happens all the time when we are working at someone's home. They are positively convinced that it is connected with something we are working on......and then it ends up not being related at all.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote