DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   temporary set up in utility room for kitchen renovation (sink; dishwasher) (

ilyaz 01-22-2010 11:26 AM

temporary set up in utility room for kitchen renovation (sink; dishwasher)
1 Attachment(s)
During the upcoming kitchen renovation, I want to temporarily move the dishwasher to the utility room. I also want to make the utility sink a bit more convenient for using it as a replacement for the kitchen sink. The photo shows two things: the utility sink faucet and the water hoses feeding the washing machine.
1. Sink: is it possible to attach some sort of spray hose to the faucet? Since the faucet itself is very small, washing anything under it is not very easy.
2. DW: Is it possible to put some sort of Y-splitter on the pipe feeding the washing machine and have another hose from there to connect to the dishwasher? Also, on the pic you can see the drain hose from the washing machine. Is it possible to place another drain hose like that from the dw? Is the dw going to be powerful enough to throw the dirty water up the hose that would go all the way to the top of the utility sink? The sink is waist-high. Also note that the dw will be actually located to the right of the washing machine and so it will farther away from the sink that the washing machine is and so its drainage hose will have to be longer too. Would this be a problem, i.e. would the hose be way too long for the dw to remove dirty water properly?

Thanks much

Brik 01-22-2010 11:31 AM

You could hook up the DW just like you normally would. Use tailpiece under the sink with the fitting for the DW connection. Water supply, just put a tee in and run some soft or hard copper to get close if you cant find a flex supply line long enough.

As for spray hose - yes, I think you can find them at the home center for retrofit applications.

ilyaz 01-25-2010 03:42 PM

Is it possible to buy some sort of faucet extension that I can screw onto the existing faucet (it's got 1" male thread)? I need something hard (plastic is OK) rather than a soft piece of garden or spray hose.

Ishmael 01-25-2010 06:07 PM

Put one of these on the stop valve (hot) under the sink: (3/8" female compression x 3/8" male compression x 3/8" male compression "quick tee")

Use a 3/8" braided stainless dishwasher connector to feed the DW off the side branch of the quick tee.

Put the DW discharge hose into the same standpipe/trap as the washing machine.

The utility sink faucet is 3/4" hose thread. You'll need adaptors to go from 3/4" female hose thread to 1/4" (maybe 3/8" - I can't remember off-hand) male compression. The whole assembly is screwed onto the faucet spout. A replacement spray hose kit can be screwed to the male compression adaptor.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1