Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

temperature and pressure issues

I'm having inconsistent temperature and pressure issues throughout the house. No cold water issues.

1. Double vanity has weak pressure on left sink and even weaker pressure on right sink. Both temperature reach warm only. Also after being gone for a week, left sink spit out brown water. Shower in bathroom has no known issues. P.s. I played with valves underneath with no success.

2. Kithchen sink has weak pressure and doesn't get hot, rather warm only. The sprayer in same sink has great pressure and gets hot water.

3. 2nd bathroom shower tops off at Luke warm, meanwhile sink next to it gets hot. No pressure issues.

jpa137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,032

Not a plumber, so others may have better thoughts, but I would start with a flush of the water heater, the instructions for which should be in the manual, if you have it, or are probably available on the manufacturers website. After that, I would remove all of the aerators, let the hot water run for several minutes to flush out whatever sediment may have settle in the lines, clean the aerators to remove what sounds like probably sediment from the water heater, and reinstall them.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
bob22 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll look into that. I also forgot to mention that the water heater is brand new.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 510

How old is the house/plumbing? I suspect that there might be old galvanized pipe involved which corrodes up inside and blocks water flow. Is the hot water yo are getting at some fixtures hot eough for you or should those be hotter as well?
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

What kind of piping supplies your water? Iron galvanized pipe, copper, plastic, etc....?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

danpik and bob22 - The house was built in 1962. The pipes are copper and yes, some of the fixtures are appropriately hot. I tried adjusting the temp on the heater which was too hot on most of the fixtures.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

with copper pipe and new water heater, I'd guess the aerators, as Dexter mentioned. Unless your faucets are somehow clogged up.

But wait, you said no cold water issues? So the cold faucets have good pressure?
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

2. Kithchen sink has weak pressure and doesn't get hot, rather warm only. The sprayer in same sink has great pressure and gets hot water.
I'd say the mixing valve area must have a clog since the sprayer is hot. Sprayer gets supply of hot water before the spout so perhaps there is a piece of junk clogging hot water path from hot valve to mixing area and then to spout.

3. 2nd bathroom shower tops off at Luke warm, meanwhile sink next to it gets hot. No pressure issues.
Must be similar to kitchen; you can't have hot water a few feet away and get lukewarm from the shower unless the hot water valve is clogged (do you get as much hot water out of shower vs. cold water when turned on separately?).

I use the term valve here in the generic sense; some fixtures used discs, some use a rotating ball, some use washers, a cartridge,... I think you need to disassemble the valve body on these fixtures to see what is going on. The shower may have a tempering valve or other temperature adjustment that could also be out of whack.
Any idea of fixture brand/models?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote