Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

Tapping into water line

I am roughing in a new bathroom. i am going to tap into the 3/4" water lines (PEX) running through the ceiling. What's the best way to do this. Shut off the main, cut the PEX and drain the water, install T fitting and then turn on water once work is complete. Will this method tell me if there are any leaks in my new work. The new lines will be filled with air but I imagine any leak will show up.

Dave8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Tapping into water line

If using PEX you need the tool to make the correct crimp. An easier way is to buy a Sharkbit Tee fitting. Turn off the water. Cut about 1" out of the line. Insert the Tee. Connect the new lines. Turn on the water. Any leak will show up immediately, so watch as someone else turns on the water for you. If it leaks, just push harder to seat the fitting.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
plumbing contractor

Tapping into water line

Just make sure you leave the plastic sleeve in the sharkbit fitting if you are using it on pex.
PLUMBINGITALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #4

Tapping into water line

Iknow I am going to get complaints about this but, Sharkbite fittings are classed the same as any other compression fitting, and are not code inside a wall or ceiling. The only reason they can claim they are Code Compliant is the same as compression fittings, in open areas.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Tapping into water line

Quote:
Sharkbite fittings are classed the same as any other compression fitting, and are not code inside a wall or ceiling.
Could this be a local interpretation? Their site shows applications including new construction and specifically to be used for repairs as posted above and for complete new construction behind walls and floors. I have heard not to use them under concrete but that too does not have any code references.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #6

Tapping into water line

I wouldnt use the shark bite fittings, i'm a plumber and see leaks in them a lot. They are easy to use but you might as well rent or buy a proper crimp tool.

1. Shut the water off to your house and open up taps upstairs and down to allow the water to drain.
2. cut the 3/4 pex line with proper plastic tube cutters, dont use a hack saw of something like that, you need to get a nice clean cut.
3. Install a 3/4 pex T make sure that the ring sits in the middle of the insert. You dont want the ring to be close to the fitting (you should see at least 1mm of pipe between the fitting and the ring), you also dont want to crimp the ring too far away from the fitting.
4. Once you've installed the t you can install a small piece of pipe (6" or so) then you can install a 3/4 pex ball valve. This will allow you to turn the water back onto your house before continuing on with your work. this way if there is a problem with your new plumbing you can shut off the ball valve and fix it without interupting the flow to the rest of your house.
hughmacdiarmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #7

Tapping into water line

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughmacdiarmid View Post
I wouldnt use the shark bite fittings, i'm a plumber and see leaks in them a lot. They are easy to use but you might as well rent or buy a proper crimp tool.

1. Shut the water off to your house and open up taps upstairs and down to allow the water to drain.
2. cut the 3/4 pex line with proper plastic tube cutters, dont use a hack saw of something like that, you need to get a nice clean cut.
3. Install a 3/4 pex T make sure that the ring sits in the middle of the insert. You dont want the ring to be close to the fitting (you should see at least 1mm of pipe between the fitting and the ring), you also dont want to crimp the ring too far away from the fitting.
4. Once you've installed the t you can install a small piece of pipe (6" or so) then you can install a 3/4 pex ball valve. This will allow you to turn the water back onto your house before continuing on with your work. this way if there is a problem with your new plumbing you can shut off the ball valve and fix it without interupting the flow to the rest of your house.
Thanks for the great answer. I did it all before reading this one. I didn't use the shark bite fittings. (seemed gimmicky and hokey) I borrowed a PEX crimper. I wish I put some ball valves in. All my crimp connections worked out. The only places with minor leaks were my threaded connections to the shower valve and washer valve station. Not enough teflon tape I think.

Dave8 is offline   Reply With Quote