Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

Tapping dishwasher off undersink water heater

Forgive me if this has been addressed before...

I am looking at a house that has a "point of use" hot water heaters in the kitchen -- which is a long way from the main hot water heater. This small 6 gallon heater is set to a higher temperature than the main hot water heater and supplies water to the dishwasher. It connects to electric power through a standard outlet on a dedicated circuit. The water supply to this heater is off the hot water pipe to the kitchen sink.

I have never seen this done before, but was told that this was done to insure that the dishwasher would always have hot water when started -- without anyone having to run water until it gets hot. This also lets them set the gas hot water heater at a lower temperature.

Is this arrangement legal, and is a 6 gallon heater really large enough for a typical dishwasher fill? Does this arrangement "waste" energy by maintaining (with electricity) a very small tank of super heated water for use only by the dishwasher?
Perry401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
call me E

Tapping dishwasher off undersink water heater

Interesting questions. In commercial kitchens, 140* is required at the DW. This is usually achieved with a point of use booster or a dedicated 140* kitchen heater with tempering valves set at 120* at all outlets-except the the DW(140)
Some residential dishwashers have built in booster heaters that raise the temp to 140* If yours does- you're DW booster should do the work and wouldn't need the 6 gal htr.
As for legal, it would be OK in my area- if plumbed correctly, including the T&P line