Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tap into main water line after the meter

I want to install a yard hydrant between the water meter and the house. The meter is about 350 feet from the house (close to the street). I believe the line coming from the meter to the house is copper (it's copper where it comes into the house). I want to install the hydrant about 20 feet from the meter. I know I have to dig a hole below the frost line (about 3 feet here).

My qusetion is this:
What's the best method to tap into the water line between the meter and the house? Should I sweat solder a "T" fitting or use a "T" compression fitting, or is there another way?

Thanks!

a92harley92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

Unless you have a way to get all the water out of the main line it would be difficult to solder. And there are people who would say that you should silver solder that fitting. I would not use regular compression style fittings like you get at home depot. In my area, middle Tennesse, they sell "ford" fittings or "mueller" fittings which are very heavy duty compression style fittings. I would try to find something like that.

broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

I've used Mueller fittings for situations just like this.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #4

Cut the pipe, open a few fixtures in the house to let the water drain out, wait a little while ( read a magazine, watch some tv) to let the water drain out. Then solder a tee in. Run the pipe over to where to want the hydrant then make proper connections at the hydrant. Also you want to make sure to put gravel at the base of the hydrant to allow for water to be able to come out of the weep hole on the hydrant
Service plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #5

I can probably get most of the water out (definitely on the house side) with compressed air. There are some suppliers near that I can get the Mueller fittings or silver solder.
Although I haven't had any of my solder connections come apart I would rather do the compression fitting. It just seems easier (considering I'm going to be working in a 3 foot deep hole). However, will the compression fitting last as long?
Also, has any one done the "bread trick" as far as stopping the water while soldering? You stuff a wad of bread in the line before you solder. A friend of mine told me about it. Then when you're done just flush the bread through the next water outlet. Just curious.

Thanks again.
a92harley92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 26

The compression fittings are used by most utility companies every day. In fact it is one of two code approved methods in my area- brazing is the other.
Bread does work, but you'll need to pull your aerators to flush it out.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 24

Can you use mechanical fittings underground in your code enforcement area? In some places you would have to run a new continuous line from the house.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #8

if you cut the line after the meter and open the first couple of faucets within the house,the 350" run will vent itself when it's down to a crickle...shut the valve into the house from the 350' just into the house...i would soft solder it with stay brite.you need to be super clean on the 2 pipes exsisting they have to be green from being in the ground a sand the copper down before the cut is made for the tee going in

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote